SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Old French Doors

oldalgebra
18 years ago

I tried posting this in the Woodworking Forum, but had little luck. Maybe you Trash to Treasure guys can help me.

Here's what I wish to do:

I am getting new French doors and would like to put the old ones to use on my patio. From time-to-time, I would like to be able to set them up as a wind barrier for the gusts of winds that seem to show up between 6 and 8 pm most spring nights. Still, I don't want them to be permanent fixtures. I am imagining that I can nail each into a frame.

1. But what size frame (1X3 or 1X4?)

2. What do I need to make to stabilize them so they won't blow over?

3. And, hardest of all, how can I attach some sort of roller or wheels so that I can easily roll them away when not in use. I know my hubbie won't want to bother, so this task will be left to me, and they need to be as portable as possible dispite their weight.

I've been trying to think of a way to attach the wheels to the doors in much the same way that wheels are attached to a dolly. I was thinking of fixing them so that one could wheel out each door independently, then. using the original hinges, hinge them together by inserting the pins. Perhaps, just sitting them on the patio in a slight v-shape will be enough to keep them upright, but I'd hate to find out the hard way that I should have secured them in some additional manner.

Surely, there is someone out there that has made something similar and can help us out.

I am fairly handy with small power tools, but have little design sense.

Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!