Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old French Doors

Posted by oldalgebra (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 05 at 13:53

I tried posting this in the Woodworking Forum, but had little luck. Maybe you Trash to Treasure guys can help me.
Here's what I wish to do:
I am getting new French doors and would like to put the old ones to use on my patio. From time-to-time, I would like to be able to set them up as a wind barrier for the gusts of winds that seem to show up between 6 and 8 pm most spring nights. Still, I don't want them to be permanent fixtures. I am imagining that I can nail each into a frame.
1. But what size frame (1X3 or 1X4?)
2. What do I need to make to stabilize them so they won't blow over?
3. And, hardest of all, how can I attach some sort of roller or wheels so that I can easily roll them away when not in use. I know my hubbie won't want to bother, so this task will be left to me, and they need to be as portable as possible dispite their weight.
I've been trying to think of a way to attach the wheels to the doors in much the same way that wheels are attached to a dolly. I was thinking of fixing them so that one could wheel out each door independently, then. using the original hinges, hinge them together by inserting the pins. Perhaps, just sitting them on the patio in a slight v-shape will be enough to keep them upright, but I'd hate to find out the hard way that I should have secured them in some additional manner.
Surely, there is someone out there that has made something similar and can help us out.
I am fairly handy with small power tools, but have little design sense.
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old French Doors

I'd think your best bet for stablity and ease of use would be to hinge the doors together according style and then hinge them to the wall where you'd be using them. I would certainly put them on wheels so you can pull them out easily, BUT I'd use wheels that lock so they don't go flying around when your not expecting them to.

o

Have you looked up how they make door props for stages? I tried a quick search, but I don't know theater terminology. A lot of plays have a scene where someone walks in a door. I bet you could build what you need the same way the production crew does.

o

Thanks, AB. I have put "feelers" out on two community theater group forums.

o

I think I would build a door frame and put the doors into it and open them when I do not need the protection. Will be a lot more simple I think.

go over to the garden junk and see how people use doors in their gardens. I think pictures alone will help you. Or just do a search here for garden doors.

It is a great idea to use them in the garden. Good Luck

o

I saw in one magazine where they installed barn door thing at the top so that the doors would slid out of the way when not in use. try a farm supply store and ask them about the barn door thing. barn door slid at the top with the bottom left usually unmounted.

o

hello, I am doing something similar. I have a single door with glass panes. After I take out a few of the selected areas of glass for a vine to grow into. I am useing pipe to make a frame with four extra legs (2 in front/2 in back) for it to be stable. Will be useing the least expensive pipe and elbows to match the right size. If you want to keep both doors together you will have quite a heavy object to move? Maybe one in front of the other? Sort of side by side but back?I didn't want to use wood since it is more costly here and the weather will make it warp badly? Plus if I use copper it will patina out. Good luck Cactusnewbie123

o

Also you could first install some solid wood pieces in the ground or attach these to wherever needed and then attach the doors to these wood pieces just like building a door frame.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here