Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! How to DoTrompe L'oeil on Found Dresser

Posted by debramd (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 04 at 11:10

Ever since I read that about a woman using Trompe L'oeil on a vanity table in her bedroom that reflected her personal memories, I have wished to find a way to do this with a find I stumbled on to, an old dresser in great shape.

The one I read of depicted things such as a string of pearls (which had been a gift from a loved one) hanging over the edge, a silver mirror, also a gift, lying on the vanity top, a scarf hanging from a drawer etc.

I would love to do a similar piece that had items which are personal and special to my memories, with the realistic appearance that is achieved doing a Trompe L'oeil.

However, I am no artist. I can do a lot of creative pieces, but I cant draw or paint anything like pictures at all. I wondered about using a sort of decoupage of pictures of the items I would like to have on my piece. I am speaking of printed items cut from magazines or found in art prints that would be suitable representations of the items I wished to duplicate.

I think that Trompe L'oeil, however, achieves its realistic appearance through the painting technique used that seems 3 dimensional. Could that same effect be created from pictures?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! How to DoTrompe L'oeil on Found Dresser

I've seen the kind of thing you mean, Deb--my niece did a tray for her MIL--but I'm no artist either! However this link might help you. It's something called tatouage. I've not done it either but I've been told the designs are exquisite.

Hope this helps.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Tatouage Designs

o

I don't think you will get the same effect from pictures but it would still look nice. Have you considered stencils? I've seem some that have the look of Tromp L'oeil.

o

Here is a link so you can save 10% off your order as well!

=)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tatouage Designs 10% Discount on Any Order

o

Sounds like stencils just might be something to consider as well. There are loads of stencil sites on line that beautiful work.
Here's one:

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.victorialarsen.com/productjustroses.html

o

I once made a earring holder that I decoupodged life size earrings cut from a jewelry catalog onto, then glued flat-backed "jewels" onto where the actual stones would have went. I think it turned out very well!

Try finding a nice jewelry catalog where the items are lifesized and give it a try. You can also photocopy hankerchiefs and other fabrics and decoupodge them also. You might need to paint some shadows to add depth, but that should be easy enough.

Let us know what you decide!

o

Trompe L'oeil literally translated is *fool the eye.* Meant in art circles as representational painting on an unusual surface (a dresser, a wall, etc.).

That said, I don't see why you couldn't decoupage something you like on the furniture you like - it is after all, YOURS to do with as you wish.

My only concern with decoupage is the brightly varnished look of it. My experience with Trompe L'oeil has been objects painted to match the finish of the background. I s'pose if you had a high sheen on the background as well, the decoupaged areas wouldn't jump out as they seem to want to do . . . .

(my art degree comes to the surface yet again . . .)

o

Just a thought.....if it is special personal items....why not scan and print them , then decopodge them onto your dresser.

I'm working right now with scanned and printed old hankies and using them as a border in my bathroom.

patti

o

:) there are several of us who are 'drafting challenged' around here- I get around it by using an opaque projector and drawing from that...but that might not work for such small objects.

the decoupage idea sounds better- if you find the right pictures, it would be easy- and you can always coat the rest of the piece with a matte finish to accent the shiny things like the mirror.

o

Know what? You DON'T need to be an "artist" ot "talented" to render an object. You just have to REALLY look at it. Drawing a little grid in pencil helps to get the proportions right.

o

Thanks, Donna, for the victoria springs site. I have been doing dry wall mud in stencils for years but it gets a little hard to find the kind of stencil you need. This was perfect, I have been looking for a stencil design for a bifold door that I stenciled floswers on. Like a curvy victorian to put arund the door frame and there it was. Thanks loads-everytime I come on here I learn something. Jan dressler has a lot of stencils that would work for the dresser but they are really pricey. Maybe sten source might have something.

o

I saw that program and loved the dresser also.

wow, I appreciate all the links also. You know even if you can draw, sometimes you just want to do something different.

I think I saw a matte decoupage medium at a Michaels the other day. I like the idea of taking the items in to a place and making a copy...you would have some shadows showing and that helps.

I would make several copies and maybe in different positions for options. You can age the entire dresser before the decoupage also.

enjoy your project and please post a picture for us.

o

You can decoupage them. Use just a small amount of paint and your artistic eye to add some shadowing. This will make it all look far more realistic. Lay out the pics on the dresser where it willl reside, then look at where the light source is coming from. This will help you decide where to place the dark shadows.The items won't look so flat with some shadowing or shading.

o

I just made a "rug" for my front porch out of the back of a piece of lineoleum - painted it to look like a rag rug, rendered a twenty dollar bill on the edge- it's fun watching people stoop to pick it up.

o

I just made a "rug" for my front porch out of the back of a piece of lineoleum - painted it to look like a rag rug, rendered a twenty dollar bill on the edge- it's fun watching people stoop to pick it up.

That's a cute idea! You know you've done a good Trompe L'oeil if you can get people trying to pick it up.

o

The first of April I took a Donna Dewberry One Stroke class..there is nothing that can't be painted with ease using this method! Here is a link to 100's of pics using this method and many are Trompe L'oeil..Donna Dewberry has several books on "murals" and furniture, etc...I have given my whole house a "redo"...walls, furniture, garden junk..lot's of trash to treasure items..REALLY simple style of painting that gives a real artistic finish! Many of the murals are done mostly with a sponge!
gardenlady

Here is a link that might be useful: One Stroke Pics

o

Which ever you do, just be sure to add the shadows. Find the direction of the light source and shadow it, just as nature would. Good luck! And just remember this: You CAN do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here