Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to make a low loft bed

Posted by meadel (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 07 at 9:23

Hi all,

I have one of those tubular metal beds. ( used to be a bunk). I am wondering if I can turn it into a low loft bed by inserting a smaller metal pipe into the bottoms. and using some kind of flange for the feet. I am thinking of painting it all gray. My 14 year old seems to prefer the "industrial look". I would just get a high loft but he does sleepwalk and my ceilings are kind of low.
Would this work? Should I get steel? Does it need to be welded?
Right now, it's on those bed risers, but , I don't really like them and would want a somewhat higher bed for more underbed storage.
I have never posted on this forum, but have lurked here! I love all your stuff.
Thanks for any ideas/help. I realize this is not exactly trast to treasure, but I don't want to trash this bed !
Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed was once similar to this one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to make a low loft bed

Check out the pipes and flanges at the hardware stores. The pipe can be cut to the length you need and the flanges can screw onto the metal bed frame if the surface is wide enough. If you are going to paint the bed the silver hammered metal spray paint looks better than plain silver. I used it on some kitchen knobs to update them.

o
RE: Want to make a low loft bed

Thanks javonne, I am going to the hardware store this week!!
I also like that hammered metal spray. That is exactly what I planned to use. ( going to recycle some pipe for curtain rods as well)

I'll post photos when it's all done.
Lori

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here