Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to paint a chair??

Posted by dandyliondeb (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 07 at 23:27

I want to paint my kitchen chairs black. What is the best paint to use that will dry "hard"? I remember painting a chair years ago and every time I sat in it, my clothes would stick to it. Maybe I didn't prep it properly. So many people are painting chairs these days and I was wondering what paint they are using. Thanks!

Debbie in Florida

Here is a link that might be useful: Welcome to My Home

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to paint a chair??

Hi, Debbie-

You can use any kind of paint, really, if you put a clear polyurethane coat over it afterwards. That will help it dry hard, protect the paint job, and-- most importantly-- not stick to you. :-)

--Jenn
http://web.mac.com/thriftshopromantic/iWeb/

o

Be patient with the process. Lightly sand the chairs to scuff up the existing surface. Wipe them down with a rag dipped in paint thinner to get all of the dust off. Let dry. Apply a light coat of paint and let it dry well. I'd leave it at least 24 hours. If it is humid, be extra sure they are totally dry. Then you can apply a second light coat. A big cause of paint remaining tacky is not letting it set up well between coats. Have fun.

o

Do like superiorgirl2 said but I'd use an enamel paint. Chairs get a lot of wear and tear on them. Hands touch them leaving dirt and oil behind. You want something you can clean without the paint coming off and I think enamel does better for that reson.

o

Check the weather before painting. High humidity or general dampness in the air will prevent the paint from drying "hard".

o

Have to tell ya--back in 1965 I painted a "rock maple" table and chairs that were given to me. I sanded - with paper far too course and left pretty deep scratches. Picked up a "Bradlees" spray can of paint no other prep before nor afterwards. Paint has never chipped, worn only where feet go on the rungs. Used daily all of these years-sometimes cloth on and sometimes off. People comment still on what a nice table. MY POINTE? It must be in the ingredients in the paint! For sure, the paint was inexpensive-------long before lowe's or Home Depot. I was a kid who knew nothing about nothing and in spite of me project turned out fine. BY THE WAY THE COLOR WAS BLACK!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here