Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This weeks finds

Posted by cupajoe (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 04 at 21:16

So far I'm on a roll.Saturday I scored a very large Hagger vase,a bulleten board,a large wooden picnic hamper,and one of those small glass onion choppers. Today I found a memory photo board,two nice unique baskets ,a box of garden edgers,and a bamboo rug. I also sold my eight chairs(the ones I bought two weeks ago for a buck apiece, gave away six lampshades and a patio table,one basket and an ergonomic microsoft keyboard that I gleaned from the Greatway dumpster the week they closed.What's really cool is that garbage day isn't till tomorrow. There's still time to shop;).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This weeks finds

This week I worked more hours and had less time to junk.Last weekend I scored an eighteen volume set of gardening encyclopedias from 1960.The pictures are gorgeus.They were in the free box at the local thrift.Also found a nice wooden tray, a crock for my kitchen utensils,a turquoise colored depression glass bowl(for floating gardenia),a king size denim quilt with floral edging,a bag of men's size nine dress shoes,a new sweater and pair of shorts and some socks.Hmmm, not bad for a week with no time.Anyone else out there junking?

o

Nope, but wish I could be! Have had grandkids, etc. for the last two weeks. I've got an itchy trigger! LOL

Every trip I've made in the car, I catch myself checking yards and curbs! LOL

o

Between the heat, the fires, the work, the thunderstorms, the GKs visiting and the DH not feeling well I haven't had the time or energy to go Yard Sailing, TSing or Junking.
I am prolley in withdrawls but to tired to do more than whine. LOL

I hope bigtime, someone here is getting some goodies.

o

This weekend we got a 1960's Bassett furniture dresser...one of the big long ones...gonna sand and paint it for the new baby; a newer Bissell vacuum...needed a new bag and spent about 15 minutes cutting hair and thread off the roller; a wooden garden swing with the A-frame...needs to be tightened up in spots; and 3 huge egg boxes full of quilting material...I am a beginning quilter so this is great for me because if I mess up I'm not out anything.
Last weekend we scored a bunch of old Florida legal books...they're piled up sky high in hubby's tool garage LOL.

Carol

o

I've heard the legal books are worth something on eboy.Haven't had much opportunity to go junking .I've had to work for the last few weekends,but I did manage to glean a nice vase and a crystal plate this weekend.Easy come easy go.My husband broke a crystal hurricane lamp last night.Lol,guess I'll need to start looking for another one.Sandy

o

I have not been thrifting lately and I am having severe withdrawal pains! But my sister's neighborhood garage sale event is this weekend, so I am looking forward to going! I can't wait!!!!!

o

What a nice trash day.It began this morning when walking the dog.I spotted a new arrival to the neighborhood setting something out by the trash.We decided to investigate and wound up taking home a wooden turtle/footstool with an upholstered back.Then this evening on my way in from work I checked a dumpter I sometimes frequent and scored the missing piece to a bench kit I pulled out six weeks ago.I also found a set of dishes minus two plates,and three cases of a popular cereal in pouches.A good score for this week,and I may have a little time tomorrow to go browsing.

o

Good score Sandy. Glad to hear you got the rest of the bench. I found a large old tool box type thing made of wood that I am going to plant in. Just gotta find the right spot in my full gardens.

o

I took the dogs for a walk and got a little frog figurine on a swing, that was sitting on top of someones trash. Still had the price tag of $3.99 on it... So i'm happy. He's sitting in one of my plant containers on my porch.
Found some small rocks too that i'm thinking about painting.
Michelle

o

Newbie here. I go 'junkin' every Sunday am. Today I went to some dumpsters behind a local school where I knew they had a big garage sale Saturday, figuring they would put there left overs! They did not disappoint me. Found some candles, a dart board, misc odds n ends. Then I drove down my faveorite neighborhood and scored at this house where I found stuff curbside last weekend, they must be moving. I got my Dtr a whicker headboard, and tons of curtians and swags still on the rods! I think I will hit that house again in a few days.

o

OOOh OOOh I know who you are autumnluvr.My handle is different but similer to one i use on another forum we both frequent.Congrats on the curtains.That will save your daughter some bucks for sure.Lady,did you notice the old wooden tool box I painted and use on my patio for a planter?Sounds like you have something similer.I still have to find a place for the elephant ears.Someone gave me a bromiliad that has two lovely babies that are getting large.If you feel like trying your hand at taking one off,you are welcome to it.This week I got to keep all the food at a place I cleaned out.There was lots of canned fruit,tuna,baked beans,a quart of Stolichnava,a half gallon of cheap rose.the large size Mhet Rx,which is something my DH uses,and retails for about $90.Also found frozen strawberries,three packets of cheese,canned milk,tofu.Garbage day is tomorrow so i'll be out shopping tonight.sandy

o

Hey, small world cupajoe, took me a while to figure out the site you were talking about. Girl, you are too funny with your finds! Have you run into the hammer lady lately? LMAO!!

o

today was q very good day I found enough almost new carpet to redo my living room country blue and enough rose colored carpet also. I found a 6ft tall floor lamp that just needs a new socket. a small glass tea set ashtray stand, a radio flyer wagon,and a full lenghth mirror, some baskets, a bunch of muffin and cake pans, also 2 heart shaped cake pans 2 expensive cookie sheets, 2 big square cake pans and many more things.

o

I don't even wave to those people,lol.Did I mention that I've never been given one single item from any of my Conn clients?And they don't throw anything good out down here either.Thank Gawd for generous and wasteful southerners.I hope you do better off your neighbors than I have.LOl.Sandy

o

Way to go Donna.Sounds like you have some baking to do.I found a brand new men's shirt ?discarded FD gift? in the trash today.Should fit my son.Also bought a framed watercolor with the glass for five bucks at an antique store.It is a picture of a place in N.O. that I once lived near.I bought a carved heron for five dollars from another antique store.Yesterday a client gave me a new beach bag with matching flip flops my size.Thats all so far this week.Sandy

o

Found a pie plate,a mug, a plate and a shirt yesterday at a place on the poor side of town.Also found a pair of sandals my size,but they fell apart this morning.Tonight's big score-A piece of styrofoam I'm going to make into a very small inside of cabinet memo board per someone else's instruction on this forum.I'll be using it as a christening gift for a client who doesn't yet have child emergency phone numbers mounted on the inside of a cabinet or somewhere handy(because the home is right out of house beautiful and they would never dream of using postits or taping anything inside the cabinet).Fabric will coordinate with the kitchen.It's from a batch of swatches I dumpster dived out of a popular furniture store dumpster with a diving partner from right off this very forum.The plan is to hot glue,then criss cross it with ribbons.Instead of buttons,I'll be using tiny shells(a reoccurring theme in the home for which it is intended).Sandy

o

Hey cupajoe, that is a neat idea. You've scored some good loot lately. Im getting up at the crack of dawn to make my rounds tomorrow. Ive already scoped out my route today. Keep your fingers crossed. I havent found much lately and Im overdue for a good score!

o

Just completed the board.It's not perfect,but hey,it's for inside the cabinet.I ended up staplegunning the fabric and ribbon.Good luck with your rounds.Most weeks I hardly try,and I still find stuff.If I were actively pursuing this hobby I'd be having a yard sale every weekend.Sandy

o

Hey Cupajoe, havent seen you on the other board in awhile, hows your junkin? I finall hit pay dirt at the $store last night. I did the east side of town, it took me 3 hours, tonight Im hitting the west side & tomorrow it will be curbside shopping. Love three day weekends!

o

Had the best of intentions yesterday,but I've been sidetracked by some other stuff.However,yesterday I made my thrift store rounds .They have a free book cart outside,and I pulled some good books from there.Then I went in and found two pair of shorts for a buck each(no mean feat.Means I tried on about 20 pair).One is Gap Kids.Oh well,got to wear something.Then as I was leaving I saw a nice painting go in the back.Caught up to it and decided to buy it for $7.50.Oh yeah,I also found a book anaylizing the countries garbage info the year 1991.Pretty interesting stuff.Next I went and bought some gourmet coffee at the coffee house across the street.Then down to a used shop of a friend of mine.Lo and behold,she has a foursome of the same type of chair that I bought for a dollar each 6 weeks ago.I have two left and they are in my way,so I run home,throw them in the car and she pays me $20 for them.Now I have made back every dime I spent and then some.Hopefully I'll slip out and do some junking tonight,although my four legged partner tells me that tonight is a lousy night to go due to those loud explosive sounds that upset his tummy.Sandy

o

Found a rattan table in a dumpster last weekend.The downside is that it is painted orange.Right now its on the front porch next to a painted pink table for a Latin look.Although it works in this neighborhood,its not my style.Any way to remove the paint without destruying the rattan would be welcome.This week I scored a swivel bar stool from the curb.I'm thinking of going back for a framed print.Saw an organ on the side of the road last week,but didn't have space for it at my house.Yesterday I hit the thrift store for clothes.Found two pair of shorts and a shirt.Also pulled two more books from the free bin.Should help fill the hours when there is a dirth of decent television programming.

o

So far I'm having a slow week.Just two potted philadendrums from a neighbors house and a free ticket to a local concert.I haven't been out to make the Saturday rounds though.Sandy

o

Bought the oil painting at the antique store.It works perfect in my house and DH says he can tolerate it.the store owner gave me a signed print by a local artist she knows I like.she gave it to me before I bought the painting.That was really cool cause it was my bday and she didn't know it.Today I went down to meet the neighbors.They bought from an aging couple who left quite a bit of stuff in their house.They gave me a very nice pair of milkglass lamps.I also aquired some volunteer impatiens from the fields this morning.

o

autumnlover: Went over & checked out dumpsterworld.com. Interesting site. Saw your name there quite a bit. Didn't register yet, just lurked. Went out last night & got 6 concrete square blocks They are the kind with diamonds cut out. Also got 4 solid square ones. No holes. Also found a long 1x4 with 7 old garment hooks. Only want the hooks. First time out in a week. Man did it feel good.

o

Why doncha register.It's a much more entertaining read.BTW,my name is also coffee related on that forum,although it's not the same.Sandy

o

This weeks finds... A batch of antique first edition novels,three awesome rolls of wallpaper,two that I plan to use for Christmas wrapping paper.I also scored a bag of key limes.Oh yeah,and a set of antique juice glasses.Sandy

o

Sandy, be safe and take cover tomorrow. Good luck riding out the storm. Just think of all the stuff people will be throwing away after a little wind damage.

o

Lady ,thanks.We spent the afternoon prepping.BTW,thanks for the mulch tip.K.Beal has me on his drop list Stay safe,and come pick up some bench boards next time youre in the neighborhood.

o

Lady,We made it with minimal damage to the house.Just got power and water today.Are you up and running?How is your house?There are four iron panels of security doors behind Pelican Elementary.They would make a great trellis.Let me know if you'd like them and I will nab them.

o

We are unhurt and got power Tuesday evening. What a wonderful thing airconditioning is! Our house also only has minimal damage, but my gardens look awful. I would love the iron panels if they are still available! Oh I hope you got them, even if I am to late for you to share them. I would hate to see them go to waste.

o

I'll make a run by them,but by now the scrap metal people have prolly taken them.Want to come work in my garden?I've got gator this week.Ducks too.Thats why I think he's hanging out.Grabbed a nice plant stand off the curb this morning.Still have those bench boards if your'e interested.Email me lady.I think I found the motherlode for diving,and i'd be interested in making a run soon.

o

Hi there,

I am new to these boards and really enjoy reading about everyone's finds. I wish I could find someone here to go DD with. My big bargain this week was at a local thrift store. Ralph Lauren linen drawstring short for $3.00. They had a $68.00(gulp) price tag inside when I got them home. Thank goodness for the people that help me dress expensive on an educators budget.

o

And Ralph Lauren for $3.oo is a great buy.I shop thrift for work clothes because there is usually a real good selection of smaller sizes.The nice thing about the thrifts is that the clothes are usually organized into sizes,style and color.But for used clothing there is nothing to beat a yard sale.The same three dollar pants can be had for a quarter if you have the energy to roll through a pile of yard sales.I was just musing last week that I have found designer brands on the clearance rack at TJay Mox and Russ fer Less for as little as two or three dollars.They are new.At the thrift store I can get a decent shirt for two or three dollars used.I use the thrift for jeans and shorts and longer wearing clothes,and try to buy the shirts at the yard sales or at a good discount store 'cause I know I will get more wear out of them for the extra buck,and I won't be clipped at a yard sale the way I am at the thrift.

o

I've been staring at this great heavy architectural type pedestal on the curb all week.I think I'm going to nab it.I was able to unload some of my Grateway keyboards to some people who need them.Now if I could just find about sixteen yards or so of decent upholstery fabric...

o

This weeks score-six pair of badly needed shoes,a pile of clothes that fit me and two of my friends from places like BOnoona Reepablic,Da Gup,Lumited,and Ane Taaylor(most still had the tags intact),atwo framed matted sand dollars,a great wool peruvian hand woven blanket,a king size quilt,a heart shaped frame and jewelry box(both silver),a badly needed used but still good screen door to replace one that broke in the hurricane,a car charger for my phone,and a couple of magazines.Oh yeah,also got some Jambolaya mixes and vinegar.Anyone else?

o

A 100% silk blouse at TS for 1.50..also a sundress for next year 1.50. A pair of jogging pants for .75 at GS....and a wonderful old antique hanging lamp from the curb that I took apart and making three new pieces of art with: ie: clock, windchimes and a table lamp!! Good find, it has iron scroll work and I could not see it being dumped in a landfill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here