Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage handkerchiefs

Posted by beth1954 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 21:12

I don't know if I'm on the correct forum, but can any of you think of something creative to make with old hankies? I bought several vintage hankies off e-bay....most of them are off-white (yellowed with time I think, but in a good way.) I would like to maybe do something with them in a frame or something. Any ideas? If I should be on another topic, please let me know.
Thanks, Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage handkerchiefs

I think you're on the right forum, but you might also want to check out the sewing forum for ideas. (Go to the Garden Web home page and find that forum there.) You might make a large pillow and attach the hankie to the front of it. Are they embroidered? Maybe fold them down to display just the embroidered part, stack them in a diamond arrangment with those corners showing and then put them in a frame under glass.

o

You can also make a cute valance by hanging several diagonally over a curtain rod. Check around on eBay for pillow ideas. Some people make really cute pillows using hankies and then sell them on eBay. Sometimes I surf eBay just for ideas.

Debbie in Florida

o

In addition to the ideas you already have been given, I've seen little girl dresses embellished with them (they sell for big bucks!!). You can photocopy them, cut the copies in half and attach to the top of your wall for a unique border.

I have some displayed on a old hanging 'silverware' rack.
Free Photo hosting by PhotoLava.com

o

lydia1959, I LOVE the silverware rack. Is that yours and did you make it? I have tons of silverplate flatware and I would love to make a rack like that. If you did make it, how did you bend the silverware?

Debbie in Florida

o

Debbie, the rack is mine but I bought it at a rummage sale so unfortunately I don't know how they bent the silverware. Maybe around a pipe of some sort??

o

You can make some really pretty angel ornaments from hand kerchiefs.

o

I'm sure you can google for directions to make a baby bonnet. Here are some little sayings to put with one.

THE MAGIC HANKY
(to put with bonnet)

I'm just a little hankie
As square as can be
But with a small stitch or two
A bonnet I will be.

I"ll be worn from the hospital
Or on my christening day
And after that be folded
Then carefully put away.

When on that future wedding day
So we've always been told
The well dressed bride must always
Wear something that is old.

So what could be more fitting
Then to find little me
And with a few fine stitches snipped
A wedding hankie be.

And if perchance it's a boy
Someday he'll surely wed
Then his bride can have the hankie
Once worn upon his head.

AN HEIRLOOM

A tiny square of linen
And a dainty edge of lace,
Designed into a bonnet,
To frame your babys face.

After babys worn it
Fold and tuck away...
And it becomes a hanky
For your daughters Wedding Day.

Or if the baby is a boy,
On the day he marries
This can be the "something old"
His joyful bride will carry.

TREASURE BONNET

This bonnet at first seems small in your hands,
A treasure of lace and ribbon bands.
But this gift is more than linen and charms
For the sweet baby who rests in Mother's arms.
From boxes long sealed, she will search for the hat,
Snip off the ribbons, and after that
Hand over this handkerchief with a smile
To her grown-up daughter, who will walk down the aisle.
Or to maybe her son, a young handsome groom,
She will hand him a gift, a family heirloom.
He will give it to the girl who holds his heart
To have and to hold, till death do they part.

o

Look at the link I found, lots of ideas for handkerchiefs.

Here is a link that might be useful: hankies

o

You can sew them onto a sheet to make a quilt top. This works especially well with the printed floral ones - makes a gorgeous quilt.

Arlene

o

Saw a picture of a gorgeous "Butterfly" quilt made with hankies in the Gallery Section of the Sewing Forum. At least I think tht's where I saw it.

o

Try putting the hankies in a shadow box, with some vintage pins or buttons,vintage photos, lace. I did one with my wedding invitation also added dry roses from my flowers. It turned out beautiful. I made several for friends to give as shower gifts. Michele

o

My sister made a neat fabric-covered photo album, several years ago, and used an old hanky on the front of it, in a diagonal arrangement. Lots of neat ideas here, and I too, loved the silverware rack. Looks easy to make.
Emma in SC

o

I have a quilt that is made using vintage hankies in the top.Each hankie is attached to a block that accents the colors and my quilt is beautiful.It was made by my grandmother many years ago and is one of my prized possessions.I gotta learn how to post pictures on here. LOL

o

ptucker go sign up with photobucket...its free...upload your pics.. below photo is a square...click what pics you want to put here, then go to the bottom of the page and click where it says generate html...copy and paste the code...I use the clickable thumbnails html...anyway sorry to highjack topic lol i wanna see everyones pics lol

o

Try this page What Can You Do With Vintage Handkerchiefs
Lots of ideas!

Here is a link that might be useful: What Can You Do With Vintage Handkerchiefs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here