Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to resurface table

Posted by lynne_melb (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 05 at 20:33

We have an oval kitchen table that is the exact right size for us. Chair are comfortable. Only problem is that there are lots of signficant scratches on my husband sides.

A lot of the questions are what to do for everyday, versus if we have guests.

For everyday, it would be cool if there was a very cheap, very easy way to redo the top of the table. I was thinking of decoupage of some of our favorite pictures. Guess it would take lots of decoupage medium. Has Anyone tried something similar? Right how the whole table is white. We put tablecloths on when people are visiting, but we would prefer something else for everyday,

For the rest of the table, I was think of a Rustoleum white glossy. Do you think that would work (adhere) to the melamine-like top> Thanks Any suggsetions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to resurface table

Yes, decoupage would work, but I think I would put a piece of glass over it, because I would worry about ruining all your hard work because of using it. But then again, if there is glass on it, it wouldn't be practical for everyday use.

Or, my favorite would be to mosiac it with broken dishes, tile, etc. That would defintely be surdy for everyday use.

Yes, you can spray paint it, but if it's slick, I would scuff it with sandpaper a bit first, and maybe give it a coat of primer first.

o

hi, well you said the the word cheap a pc. of glass can run what a t.s table and chairs does. sooo i like the rustoleum idea it will last for yrs.
then the top is kinda funny cause it isa open book, a clear table,
you don,t have to look far on www to find these mosaiced , have seen a few on here that were masterpieces, out of scrap glass and tile.
things that are family ties like pics, or pics from mags. that say this is your side and this is hubbys even his fav. food hobbies and yours is one idea for decopage .
i have and need to do more, have decopoged with tissue paper the colors are awesome and free but you can buy all kinds in amazing patterns , I want to used pressed flowers ,or leaves on a surface then overlay with the tissue with bits of flowers in it as the overlay then seal with a very hard poly. spray ,
you just have some choices to make do you want the job of the mosaic or the decopage or ?
I mean i know you are searching for ides and sugestions but also have to think about do you want to get tied up in it or do you want to get it over with and eat .
do a search on here and the web for mosaic tables.
I forget wich one but I was on a site where there was an entire space for decopage awsome stuff . whatever you do most of the top quality poly finishes (don,t use cheap) are available in small cans and spray i have used a small can then over sprayed eliminating any brush strokes .
the base for deco. p can be white glue watered down or wall paper glue both dirt cheap . hmmmm
please respond and tell what you might be willing to do a lot of folks on here to help rick

o

Why not try to paint a "tablecloth" on your table. Paint it a color to compliment your kitchen or dining room, and then paint a little scroll border on it. Let it dry and poly it a couple of times.

This would only cost 3-5 dollars in material, and the labor wouldn't be too bad. Might be a fun project.

If you don't like it, you can still decopage right over it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here