Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy idea for temporary deck?

Posted by tcharles53 (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 08 at 20:05

I do not want to go to the expense of putting in a deck this year - was wondering about putting together something temporary but am concerned this may not work so would welcome some feedback. Thinking of seeing if I can find some wood pallets for free or very inexpensively and then putting exterior grade plywood over - approximately 12 x 18 area. A friend suggested I look at treated wood fence panels as flooring. Are these crazy ideas - does anyone have any other thoughts? Thanks for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy idea for temporary deck?

Here's a deck someone built using wood pallets.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Decking form pallets

o

I think this is a very good idea. I have two pallets I was considering ditching but now you've given me something to think about. Very clever.

o

Or perhaps use cinder blocks as your foundation? Or railroad ties?

o

We were in the same spot last year.
We did not want anything permanent, for real estate tax reasons, so we thought this would work.
We decided to use some recycled cedar fencing that we had.
We used some 4x4 posts, also recycled and made this floating deck.
Now if the assessor comes, we can tell her that it is not permanent!!

o

My friends just did this. They used plastic pallets though - they were concerned that wood ones would eventually rot. They sat the pallets on a bed of sand (where their above-ground pool used to be) and leveled them. Then they screwed regular decking lumber down to the pallets. The cut short pieces of lattice and attached them around the outside of the pallets so you can't see them - it looks like a regular deck with the lattice work hiding the support. It really did come out nice, although they did end up spending some bucks on the decking wood and lattice. But they want to add on to their house in a few years and the addition will probably go where the deck is now - this gives them the ability to move the deck when they need to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here