Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question from a bemused reuser

Posted by joyfulguy (My Page) on
Mon, May 22, 06 at 18:50

A week or so ago en route to the village I saw some interesting things with garbage by the highway.

Euro-Pro small mostly plastic vacuum with non-rotating brushes sweeping the carpet, head removable to allow installation of short flexible plastic hose, but no tools for hose. Clear plastic dust container, cyclone-style dust collection, straight-up tube adjustable-length handle (with addional built-in handle to use when using machine with hose). 800 number provided for info.

GE Bagel Switch 4-slice Toaster, switch "Bagel" or "Toast", "Cancel" button for each 2-slice unit, looks but little used, put out in its original box.

Steel-tube folding chair, card-set type wirh beige plaid fabric-covered upholstered seat, like-new condition.

Plus some other stuff, all of which looked so bereft that I felt that it really needed a home at my place (despite its being rather overloaded currently).

One of the churches that I attend is having a yard sale soon.

I told my son that I thought that I would put the toaster and the vacuum into the yard sale. He was somewhat perturbed, felt that I was out in left field doing such a thing. He (something of a pack rat, himself) thought that when someone puts things into a yard sale, there's an implicit warranty that goes along with it that they used it in their home earlier.

I asked him what he was talking about - that both of the items worked, so what was he fussing about? That if there were something wrong with them, I felt that I should make such information known to a buyer, but didn't feel that I should be under any such unstated obligation as he suggested.

Besides - this is a church-sponsored operation, (so no in-house residents [even mice?]).

A couple of friends - and someone on KT - can't see merit in his view.

What is your take on the situation, please?

ole joyful who doesn't want to be sneaky

P.S. Usually, it's Dad moralizing to son. A bit of tit-for-tat, here? He really looked to be serious, though.

o j

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question from a bemused reuser

Put them in the sale,someone else will be blessed by them.Your son must not do much yard saleing or that type of stuff.People do it all the time,self included.
Kathi

o
RE: Question from a bemused reuser

Kathi,

That's the thing - he's done quite a bit of it himself.

When his sister was up from AZ with van and trailer to get her stuff fom her Mom's several years ago, and he was outfitting his apt., he did it largely with stuff from yard sales.

He's not averse to gathering stuff from garbage, either.

So he doesn't come exactly green to the game.

I was surprised to hear him say it, actually.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here