Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gallery glass outdoors

Posted by joy_va (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 08 at 18:40

I have an old rectangular eight paned window that I want to use outside. I am thinking of hanging it by chains from the deck railing. But I cannot find anything definitive about using Gallery glass on outdoor projects. Has anyone done this and how did it hold up over time and the elements? Or can you give me any ideas of other ways to decorate. I have seen the website and nothing strikes my fancy. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gallery glass outdoors

Hi Joy,

I have only used it on indoor projects, but the info that came with my kit stated something about the paint clouding up when it got moist or wet- something that would certainly happen if you used it outdoors. If you had the paint on the "inside" of the window (away from the weather and direct sun), it "might" be ok, but somehow I doubt it would stand up to extreme temps during the summer (or other seasons, for that matter- we just had a frost warning last night!). Other folks might have different advice, but I personally wouldn't risk it. I think that it would be a shame to make something really nice and lose it to the elements. ;-)

Have you thought about other techniques? You might pop over to the Garden Junk forum and look up "windows"- they have a ton of ideas and easy projects. You could mosaic it with stained glass and GE Silicone II, or even replace the current window glass with mirror or regular stained glass.

Here are a few ideas for you..

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg041345108191.html

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg0614411510635.html

Good luck- I would love to see what you come up with!

Jenny

o
RE: Gallery glass outdoors

Also, there is another GW member named Robolady (whom I am sure would reply if she were online)that has an incredible online site of great ideas. Here is the link to the window section - lots of techniques for indoors and out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robojunker Site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here