Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Restoring old metal chair - need help pls

Posted by DinaBear (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 05 at 16:43

I bought an old metal garden chair at the Thrift store this weekend for $5.00. I am wanting to restore and paint it since it has a lot of rust. I have tried sanding the rust off and it is not working too well. What else can I try or do I need to strip the whole thing and repaint ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
Dina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Restoring old metal chair - need help pls

I just read somewhere that white vinegar dissolves rust, but don't leave it on there too long because it can dissolve the metal too. ~Anj

o

Try finding someone to sandblast it if it's badly rusted otherwise there are some paints that you can use which inhibit rust....check out Rustoleum brand paints.

o

I always use a product called "Naval Jelly", I think it is usually found in the automotive department. It is thick and pink and you paint it on generously and let it sit for a while according to the directions and then wash it off with soap and water. Be certain you don't put it on and then leave it on for an extended period. After washed, allow to dry thoroughly and then spray a rust-proof primer and paint with spray enamel and it will look gorgeous.

I found a large metal tray like something they would have in a restaurant with a folding stand and it was terrible looking. I got it for 2 bucks at a yardsale and my DH thought I was nuts. But I painted it black enamel and then painted the tray with a black marble effect, stenciled a doily on top of that and then added a single painted pink rose and it is one of my favorite items.

It can be viewed in my Webshots Projects folder if you'd like to see it.
Good Luck,
Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: My Projects album

o

We restored numerous metal seats and a bench by sanding with a wire brush attached to the drill and a wire brush on the angle grinder. This got off all the loose stuff and smoothed down the edges. Be sure to wear goggles. Then we coated it with Rustoleum to stop the rust and top coated it the color we wanted.

o

crazyoverroses....the link to your pics didn`t work for me!

o

Her link is pointing to her editing area ... try this one ... It should be the community page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crazy for Roses Projects Folder

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here