Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with dresser drawers

Posted by henhouse (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 16:32

I received a 4 drawer dresser from a friend but don't plan on using the drawers.Has anyone ever done a project with dresser drawers? Thank you in advance for any replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with dresser drawers

There is a thread called "Drawer Shadow Boxes" posted on page 1 of this forum. It was posted by "oldalgebra" earlier this year. She used desk drawers and I don't know how big your dresser drawers are, but it may give you some ideas. Hope this helps.
Marylee

o

Attach sliders or wheels and they'll make great under the bed storage boxes.

o

Thanks marylee for the reference to "drawer shadow boxes"
They are so cool.

o

Not too long ago I saw a picture of a dresser drawer used as a planter. It was sitting on a patio railing in the corner. I thought it was a cute idea.

I don't know if they planted the plant right in the drawer itself of if they were in containers and then set in drawer.

o
link to blog showing dresser drawer planter

Link:

http://blisstree.com/live/ideas-for-using-old-dresser-drawers/?utm_source=blisstree&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=b5hubs_migration

o

I just glue and nail two drawers together and use it as a shelf for tiny spaces and closet.

o

Turn them on their sides facing front, side by side and on top of each other. Fasten them together with metal brackets, paint the drawers and you have a very nice book shelf.

o

Use them as planters, shadow boxes, depending on size using them for organizational things, add a shelf inside of them and make them decorative with knick knacks, take the front of the drawers off...put a nice decorative knob on it...paint it...add some decals...add some paper/material....then make them wall hangings. There is a lot that could be done when the mind wanders:)

o

Aren't these clever ideas? I think good enough to keep the items out of the landfill. Chalk one up for recyclers!

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old House Magazine

o

I have visited the forums frequently, but I didn't register until today. I didn't see an "introduce yourself" forum, so please excuse me if I am doing something wrong with posting this.
This link is an article I wrote a a couple of years ago about turning a drawer into a potting bench.
Again, I hope I am not doing anything wrong by posting my own link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Build a Roadside Cast-off Dresser Drawer Potting Bench

o

I love that potting bench. Really clever! I also like those dog beds above. Never would have thought of that.

Alicia

o

Do-It-Yourself magazine (BH&G publication) recently featured a headboard wall made out of old drawers that I fell in love with. They painted the bottom of the drawers the wall color and the sides in white. Take a look at the link below - it's on the front cover. Love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: headboard wall

o

I'm pretty sure I copied these pictures from the Garden Junk forum. I just fell in love with this planter.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I also saw somewhere that they were used as a raised garden bed. Kind of like how people build the frame and fill it with dirt, only I think they nailed or screwed them together and then filled them with dirt. Not sure if they took out the bottoms. They would rot if you didn't. I would also put sealer on the drawer sides so they last at least a few years. And for that matter, you could put them on table legs for a waist-high raised bed. I've been seeing a lot of those for people with bad knees and bad backs.

Just throwing out another idea.....
Alicia

o

when my daughter was little she always used her old dresser drawers (when we bought her a new one) for her baby dolls and barbies. she made then into different barbie rooms, she painted the "walls" and put her little doll furniture in there

o

That headboard is amazing! I'm getting ready to make an upholstered headboard but that picture is making me rethink my plans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here