Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
T to T retaining wall!

Posted by KellyFG (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 05 at 16:28

In our quest to solve all of our new homes lanscaping problems on a tiny budget we decided to get very crafty with a retaining wall. one area of our property dipped down toward the neighbors(there was on old wood retaining system that failed a while ago). Last year we had trouble getting grass to grow there because heavy rain would wash it away.
My creative DH brought home broken up stamped concrete patio that he removed from a customers home & we stacked & packed it a long the property line & then filled it in with 5 yards of topsoil. We are trying achieve the look of slate or bluestone with grass growing up to it & flowering groundcover in between. The pieces are about 6" thick & we broke them into random sizes.
This is a picture we took of the yard the day we made our offer on the house last year-its not a great shot but its the only before I have of the property slopping

I will post more pictures after the grass grows in. Total cost for 40 ft of retaining wall including 5 yards of topsoil $80.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: T to T retaining wall!

Great idea and I would love to see it finished. I have tried to talk my DH into using broken concrete but he just sees it as junk, I'm afraid. I'm certain this will look quite lovely when it matures, congratulations and happy planting.
Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: Take Time to Smell the Roses, my website.

o

Great way to re-use/re-cycle busted concrete. Here 5 yards of top soil is approx $80. KUDOS Kelly!!!!! Recently our city installed water/sewer lines a few blocks away. I wanted to getsome of the busted concrete driveways to use to make a patio area around my fire pit. DH said "NO" now he is kicking his own butt. Cement prices have gone sky high and the waiting list for small amounts is over 3 months, for all the new building around here.

o

What a great job you did ... and you can't beat that price! I'm curious ... how high are the recycled cement pieces stacked?

Joyce

o

:) I managed a small seating wall from chunks of a neighbor's sidewalk, topped with some big slabs that had made a rough walkway in what was once a victory garden (it's now in almost full shade, and I have plans to put a seating area back there instead)

it's planted with sedums, creeping phlox, rockfoil, and thymes, and they're filling nicely- in another year or so, you'll never know it's scrap :)

o

Thanks, I was hoping you guys would be able to appreciate it!
The highest part(the area that needed the most fill toward the tree) is about two feet...then it slowly dies down.
This weekend we are putting in new irrigation & seeding!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here