Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cool find for a casual junker

Posted by alison (My Page) on
Sun, May 21, 06 at 15:48

Several days ago, I saw someone had thrown away an old wicker blanket chest. It was irreparably damaged, so I left it, but when I went to the grocery store this morning it was still there. I just happened to have my swiss army knife with me.... so I salvaged these.

Not sure what I'll do with them, but a little Brasso, a little lacquer, and they sure will be pretty! (I even salvaged a few of the nails and screws, so I'll have something to take to the hardware store to match for size.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cool find for a casual junker

alison,

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't cut it!

ole joyful

P.S. Looks like an interesting find.

Next thing is to figger what to do with it/them.

o j

o

I travel with a tool kit in my car for just such occasions! Plus a moving blanket and empty cargo space, you never know what you will find!

o

Hey, I think that's a cool find even for a professional junker! LOL

My first thought was to grab the wicker chest and plant flowers in it. You could have enjoyed it until it fell apart! LOL

o

The corners can be added to an old wooden frame for a different look. The ones with the handles could go on a flower pot with the name of the plant etched into it or how about making it into a small door knocker for an inside door. The one that came off the front might be used as a closure for a purse.

o

Saw something like that on HG TV. Antique stores sell old stuff like that all the time to interior designers who want to replace cheap handles on cabinets, bureaus, etc to make them look more "dressed up". The two pieces on the bottom left might look good on a necktie. Just a thought!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here