Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old microwave used as time capsule??

Posted by postum (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 07 at 14:45

Hi folks -
We have a broken microwave. We also have a large hole that needs filling. Well, I thought maybe we could fill the microwave with time capsule items and bury it in the hole. It will save us the $15.00 recycling fee too :-)

Do you know if there is any danger in doing this? Are there any radioactivity or other dangerous things in microwaves?

Thanks for your help!
Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old microwave used as time capsule??

Hmmm... neat idea. If it IS safe, I would do something to the outside of the oven, like paint it or write something on it. If it ever gets dug up, one might think it was just an old microwave oven and not look inside. Maybe you can take the mechanical workings out of it and just bury the shell.

Debbie in Florida

o
RE: Old microwave used as time capsule??

You could check with your local dump/recycling center and tell them of your idea and see what they say about burying it. If you're able to, I think that's a fantastic idea. Maybe put it in a large clear garbage bag with a note attached to the front of it that it's a time capsule so if and when it's found, someone will know what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here