Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yard Sale China Find

Posted by sudiepav (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 11:21

I'm so glad the weather's warming and yard sales are beginning in earnest. Found some neat treasures on Saturday, but one that took my breath away. Amidst tables of truly worthless junk, I found a stack of dishes. Before I even turned them over I knew they were Haviland Limoges. I asked the lady what she wanted for them, and she replied $3!! I packed them up lickety split before anyone else could eyeball them, although the sale had been going on several hours before I found them. On the way home, my mind was spinning with what to do with them. My first thought was to break them for a mosaic project. Then I thought "These were somebody's grandma's china!" I have my grandma's Haviland, and it's one of my greatest treasures. So now, I am sending a Xerox to Replacements, Ltd. to identify the pattern. Then, I may sell them on eBay or some such. I'd like to find someone who wants to add to their pattern. Here's what I got: 22 saucers (probably this was a service for 24 at one time!) one cup, marked with paint, which I have largely removed by soaking and scraping gently with my fingernail, 4 dinner plates, 6 salad plates, 4 bread and butters, and 7 fruit dishes. I am pleased I found them, but it makes me sad that someone's treasure was so badly treated. Other ideas? My husband is afraid that I'll just keep them!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yard Sale China Find

Oh you've got an amazing find with Haviland china! I have some Theodore Haviland china that was my great-aunts, and it's a cherished treasure of mine.

What does the pattern look like? There are some beautiful ones out there.

Congrats on your great discovery.
-Jenn

o
RE: Yard Sale China Find

The dishes have a gold rim. The rim is then circled with a border of yellow, dark blue and green stylized leaves or flowers, with a dark red background. In several places around the rim, larger flowery things appear in the same colors, also with a reddish background. Connecting these places is a vine with leaves and a few actual small flowers. It's really a stunning pattern, now that it's cleaned up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here