Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any ideas for vintage Valentine candy boxes?

Posted by ladynimue (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 07 at 9:51

Hi everyone,

I have two large heart shaped Valentine boxes that my Grandpa gave to my Grandma. I'm not sure what to do with them and I have a philosophy that if I have something then I should use it some way (instead of stashing it away).

One is lavender colored with fancy ribbon along the sides and an old smashed silk flower & lavender bow on top. The other is from the 60's or 70's - a bright orange and neon pink thing with a large pink bow on top, with gold colored sides.

Any ideas for them, other than sitting them on a shelf?

Thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any ideas for vintage Valentine candy boxes?

Hi! What a lovely thing to have... so nice they've been preserved!

Have you considered using them to store beloved greeting cards that you wish to keep? Or other keepsake items that are dear to you? You could also use them to store current stationery or envelopes.

--Jenn

o

I wonder if you could use an old window frame with the slats in it and make a sort of display window with it. Put the Valentine boxes in two of the windows and then get some vintage Valentines at an antique store for some of the other windows. Maybe pics of your Grandparents in a window also.

o

I would simply store photos of those grandparents in them. Then lay the pretty boxes on a table where every now and then you can look through the pictures and enjoy them. Making them more like memory boxes.

o

Great ideas everyone! I love the idea of storing pictures and keepsakes in them (I have plenty of those!). The window frame idea is also intriguing. I like the idea of displaying them on a table but my kids are too young for that now, maybe when they get older.

You've all been so helpful that I took a couple pix so you could see them.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

I think it would be nice to put the box in a shadow box frame so the box would be under glass. Then I'd add in your grandparents' photos and perhaps some other memorabilia.

o

The purple one is just beatiful, just replace the bow with somthing brighter, or maybe a picture of your grandma/grandparents, surrounded with lilacs etc.

o
RE: Any ideas for vintage Valentine candy bupddeoxes?

Just thought of something else--you could paste some pictures (small and cut in different shapes) inside the box, and then put them in a frame, but put the top at a angle as if you were sliding open the box.

o

You know, you might be able to use them as the basis for Valentines wreaths, if your door doesn't get a ton of direct light.

I absolutely adore the purple one. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

--Jenn
http://web.mac.com/thriftshopromantic/iWeb/

o

Well I think I'de try to add small white or gold drawer knobs as feet and a glass knob or pull on top, Use or sell as jewelery box or keepsake. I do this with small old garage sale jewelery boxes and other types of small boxes with a lid.

o

That's an intriguing idea Mechanicalvalve. Very useful, too.

I still haven't decided what to do with them. I did just find a small standing curio cabinet that they'll fit into and that will keep my little ones fingers away. Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here