Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garage sale find

Posted by Jess869 (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 05 at 9:30

I stopped at an out of the way sale and everything was half price. Got a chair with a broken cane seat to put flowers in. The chair is curvy and different than any chair I've seen. 3.50. Also a 24 x 30 framed cross stitch on some kind of linen dated 1863. The work is beautiful and the frame is so heavy, just a few nicks in the frame. I think I may have found something cause the name of the woman is on it and I'm going to research it today. 9.00 What do I seal this chair with to protect it in the garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garage sale find

I've been making wooden stuff for outside use - and I bought spray lacquer. Stinky - but it puts a good coat on !

o

Thompson's Water Seal works best for me. I use it on any wood or metal "Objet de Art" that I put in the yard!!!!!!!

o

Marine varnish is probably the best for outside.Think about it,it's used on boats and boats are in the water all the time,and look how well it holds up.
JMO
Kathi

o

That makes sense to me. Thanks

o

hi
i went to an antique auction once they sold an old cross stitch sold for $250.

o

I don't want to tear this apart cause you can tell it's been profeesionally framed but it looks like linen or something like that. It's very large for a hand worked piece. Maybe it's worth something.

o

"a 24 x 30 framed cross stitch on some kind of linen dated 1863."
First it is called a Sampler. Second WOW! great find and what a bargain.
OH yes Jess, have the sampler appraised or get pics on a forum for antiques and needlework and ask for best/amature(sp) estimates. I'm sure there is a few places to ask here on THS. I saw one not to long ago on Antique Road Show valued at $3,500.00. An early signed piece from 1863. Old, slight fading and the frame was HEAVY, dirty, had a few medium nicks and just plain undecored wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here