Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silverware Box

Posted by dandyliondeb (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 07 at 7:30

I finally finished relining my silverware box. It was a tedious project but I'm happy with the results. I've already started on the next box which I hope to sell on Ebay when I'm finished with it. That one I will paint white on the outside.

If you click on the link below, you'll have to scroll down a little to see the finished box.

Here is a link that might be useful: Projects, Crafts and Hobbies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silverware Box

It's VERY pretty, deb!
I'm interested in how you stuck the fabric to the box? White glue? Hot glue? I'm interested because I have a couple of old, old violin cases that I want to reline. Thanks for any help you can give me. Again.... VERY pretty!
Kate

o

I have an old silverware box here that I am now inspired to re-line. How did you get the folds so neat on the piece that holds the forks/spoons? I've got that part loose from the box but the original is not near as neat as yours.

I am thinking of painting mine black or red, I have some black and white stripe ticking material that I could use. Good job, I really like your roses fabric.

o

here's a link for silver cloth to help retard tarnish

Here is a link that might be useful: silver cloth

o

It's beautiful Deb. Great Job.

o

fiddlekate, I used Aileen's white craft glue for the whole project. I don't like to use hot glue as much as I used to, but I suppose it would work as well. I actually covered thin pieces of cardboard with the fabric, then glued the pieces in place.

lilym, the part that holds the forks and spoons was the tedious part and is hard to describe in words how I did it. It was kind of trial and error and I wasted a few scraps of fabric trying to figure it out. I have one more box that I'm going to re-line and maybe I'll do a "tutorial" on my web site.

kat wa, I never knew I could buy fabric that was treated to retard tarnish. But the reason I used the floral fabric is that I wanted the box to look sort of shabby romantic. I read somewhere on-line that one reason silver tarnishes is from moisture. My son suggested "dessicant", the little packets in new purses and shoes to keep moisture out. I will start saving the little packets and just toss them in the box and see if that works. Thank you for the link.

craftlady, and everyone else, than you for the compliments!

Debbie in Florida

o

I started a "how to" page on relining a silverware box on my web site. I'm still working on the page, and the boxes, and I hope to have both finished by next week. You can check the link below to see the work in progress. Get over to eBay and start buying those old silverware boxes!

Debbie in Florida

Here is a link that might be useful: Relining a Silverware Box

o

Hi I am new but had to add this idea to uses for silverware boxes. I have one that I have been holding onto because I think it can be separated and made into 2 shadow boxes, one deep and one shallow one. Do you think that is a possibility?

o

Absolutely! That's a great idea! When you remove the fabric and wooden piece that holds the forks and spoons, there's a lot of glue left behind. You would have to scrape all the glue off or you could cover pieces of thin cardboard with fabric or pretty paper. The covered cardboard would hide the bumpy glue and make a smooth background.

Debbie in Florida

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Reline a Silverware Box

o

These projects are fun. You can also add old knobs for feet and a glass knob or drawer pull on top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here