Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
giant clam shells

Posted by garyfla (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 7:01

Hi
i bought a set of the title at a junk shop several years ago and I'm stumped for a use for the large one
It is made of 1 inch acrylic fluted and except for the color(transparent) it looks exactly what it represents.
It is 52 inches long and 37 wide with the recess around 15 inches at the deepest part.. WAY too big for a bird bath,sink,planter. There MUST be some use for it other than holding garden stones and collecting dust?? lol
Would appreciate ANY ideas TIA gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: giant clam shells

I just saw a water pump that Marlene got from her dad & used it for a water project in her yard. I think that shell might work very well for something like that. It's on Garden Junk Forum. Marlene is the poster. Think it was posted today. She shows how they did it if you click on link at bottom of pic. Really relaxing if you have some space & porch near by to sit & enjoy the sound of running water. They used 3-4 flat stones for water to run over & really adds interest to the yard.

o

Good grief, that's one big plastic shell you've got there! I like the fountain/pond idea.

That's big enough to get under in a rainstorm. You could use it for a shelter.

Fill it with ice, top with steamed and chilled shrimp and oysters on the half shell, and invite your friends over. One end could hold the cold beverages. :-]

o

Hi
Well I already have two outdoor ponds and 5 aquariums lol have thought of using it as a bog filter for the shallow marsh setup but being transparent would grow algae like a champ don't have the equipment to drill it and would be tough to support in the proper location.
toxcrus i suspect that's what they where made for in the first place probably for a restaurant.?? but would take up all the table space lol.
I used the smaller ones for planters in the large aquarium which is why I bought the set in the first place.
Thanks for the ideas gary

o

It sounds really cool. If it were mine I woukd use it when we have friends over out by the pool. It could hold ice and beer or just ice for drinks. Maybe hand towels. Does it go with any of your decor? I can see it working in the bathroom, guest bedroom, perhaps your kitchen,or lanai.

o

Do you have any pictures of them?

o

keiki
Not in my bathrooms ,only 5x8 foot . Too short to be used on the floor and way too big on a table besides it will hold 8 gallons of water which means it's very heavy.
All my pools have fish in them and don't require towels lol
Megamuffins The smaller ones are in a 150 gallon aquarium and can't be seen because of the plants. The largest one is under the florida room table holding mineral specimens with a nice coating of dust lol
So no pix gary

o

Also you could add some solar lighting to take advantage of the clear acrylic. Perhaps fill the bottom with potting soil and some low ground cover like scotch moss , thyme or Irish moss. Then set gazing ball ( iridescent globe upside down) on top.

o

Sorry my previous post didn't show up. Still getting the hang of this. It's been so long. I said that it could be garden art as a centrepiece in a flower bed. Then as an afterthought I posted the lighting and planting ideas.

Rolande

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here