Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
want to make a tin man for garden

Posted by parker806 (parkervicki2000@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 22:50

does anyone have a pic and directions to make a tin man from tin cans? i want to make a few small ones for my garden and flower beds. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: want to make a tin man for garden

Google "Hobby Lobby tin man" and the first option that comes up is a pdf file with a picture and instructions. Sorry, I wasn't able to make the link.

o

Google search with phrase
"find: make a tin man"
leave off the quotes.

Robert

o

Along with tin cans, look at metal ducts too. The restore store (habitat) has them really cheap. We were messing around when moving the store and one of the guys put the ducts all over his legs/arms/head. Quite a Tin Man evolved.

o

I saw one at our County Fair's scarecrow contest. They had used the metal ductwork for the torso, shoulders & (for lack of a better word-thighs & attached flexible dryer vent hose, for the arms & legs so they'd be able to dangle tin cans from them. The wood framework was shaped like a cross with the crossbar at shoulders-longer than the one at the 'thigh' area.
I believe they used a silver milk pail for the head.

o

Here is a picture of the one I just made.

Photobucket

His body is a popcorn can, his head a sand pail, elbows and knees are ductwork joints and dryer hose for arms and legs.

There is a hole in the sand pail for his hair to grow:-) the rubber boots belonged to a man called Fred so I named him Fred. He has garden gloves on and a tool belt to hold his other garden tools but he hasn't been much help in the garden, LOL

o

There are photos of several Tin Men on the Garden Junk Inspiration Album I put together for the gang over there.
Not sure what pages they are on tho.

Karen from GJ

Here is a link that might be useful: GJ Inspiration Album

o

thanks for all the help. saving cans now to get started on one. thanks for the info and love all the pics in the inspiration album. so many talented people in here and i have learned alot from all of you. keep up the great work.

o

Karen could you please help me with the instructions to make the frog from the bowling ball? Need help with the eyes. This would be great for bible school project, we have the balls already.

o

This is Amy, with the tin man her dad made for her. Mel is a friend of mine, and had lots of fun making it.

Photobucket

o

great tin man amy has. i am still saving cans and can't wait to get started. also need to buy funnel for hat, can't find one yet. thank for all the inspiration. so many crafty people here. i may have to copy some of them cause i can't seem to see anything to make when i look at some of the trash i throw out or find at the auctions. thanks

o

If you live in the Mid West try Fleet Farm for the metal funnel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here