Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean up brass lamp?

Posted by pecanpie (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 05 at 22:33

I picked up a an old but well-wired Stiffel lamp at an estate sale for $10 today!! It was well-hidden under an enormous unattractive Stiffel shade (didn't know they made shades) and it's tarnished, pitted and dull. Any suggestions as to how to clean this little buy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean up brass lamp?

Toothpaste (can't remember which one at the moment) can be used on brass. And there are a few homemade brass cleaner recipes all over the net.

For the pits, can you take a dremel with a fine grinding drum and sand them out? That's what my father in-law did recently with some old brass wall sconces.

o

Last night on TV, Two ladies cleaned a old brass bed with ketchup.

o

I think that it is probably the acid vinegar and the salt in the ketchup that cleaned the brass.
You may try using a combination of salt and lemon juice or vinegar. Use a soft cloth, not steel wool, if it will do the trick.
I have an old brass lamp that I began cleaning with Brasso. I had to put it aside and I never finished cleaning it, but will try the salt and acid method next. I have used the salt and acid before with varying results, depending on the degree of cleaning needed. The solid brass is so heavy!
Funny, I was just thinking of getting it out and finishing the job when I read your post.

o

Brasso and elbow grease. It has worked for me on many old pieces. Salt and lemon juice works great for the copper pan bottoms - I never tried it on brass.

o

cut a lemon in half, and dip it in salt. Use the lemon as a "scrubber". Re-dip in salt as needed, and replace lemon half periodically. I have tried this on other metals, I imagine it would work on brass too.

o

I have a collection of brass candle stick holders, small electric lamp, and various other pieces. I use grapefruit and water. Fill sink with warm water, add 4 to 6 grapefruit, cut in half, and add brass pieces. Soak for 10 minutes, rub stubborn spots with grapefuit. Rinse and dry. Easy on the hands, muscles, eyes, nose, and TIME.

o

ok just to let you know, the lemon and salt does not work on brass...thanks anyways though.

o

hummm, are you sure you've got uncoated brass FoxRocks? I've been using lemon juice (fresh, not bottled) and salt for years. you just have to let the sucker soak a little.....i put the juice and salt in a spray bottle, shake very well, kinda dissolve all the salt i can and then spray. have to let it sit a little but it works....at least it does on mine. I would think the vinegar would work the same way. some of the newer brass stuff has a coating on it that 'protects' it from tarnishing; but it sometimes cracks and allows oxidation over time.

o

I dip a rag in vinegar (acid), then in salt, and scrub.

If there is laquer, you have to strip it off first.

o

Wash the brass with soapy water.
If the brass is simply dirty or oily, mix a mild detergent with warm water. Dip a soft cloth into the soapy water and wipe the piece down with the cloth.
Remove lacquer coating.
Polish the brass.
Reapply lacquer to the brass.
Wipe the brass off with a soft, dry cloth.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.perfectpicturelighting.com/antique-brass-lights-for-picture-frames.php

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here