Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to build a builtin corner hutch?

Posted by sandyhills1 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 05 at 21:28

I used to see these on TV.shows in Country homes.Now that I want one there's not one to be seen.I know one of you will know how to and what I can recycle to make it.Does anyone else out there that has a Hubby that gripes and throws away your good junk when You aren't looking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to build a builtin corner hutch?

I saw them make the corner shelves I believe on room by room the other day..a built in..they used 2 pieces of wood for the sides, just lap joint...no fancy mitering..then they used quarter round and nailed or screwed it where they wanted the shelves...the shelves are just cut in triangles the depth you want. Or screw holes up and down on each side in 2 places and buy the little holders at the hardward store. sorry, that is as clear as mud...seems easy to me being a great grandma whose daddy was a carpenter.

But check out HGTV and put in corner shelf and see what comes out.

o

two pieces of wood in the corner you chose .the width of your old windows;one board attached to the corner or a triangle shaped wooden block. light at the top ;shelves connected to the 3 boards.add glass or wood shelves inside,

o

Thanks for the info.I thought that was how it was done but wanted a few others to back me up on it.It sounded to simple so I was doubting myself.

o

I have seen a corner hutch made of old shutters. . jist use them for the corners and add round rounded shelves Love you guys am new but getting lots of ideas from all of you.

o

I built one 6' tall with mostly scraps. Started out with two thin plywood pieces cut same size 2 1/2'W x 6'H. Used 3 = 90degree angle piece of metal with holes in it to hold the two parts together at the 90 degree I wanted. I then used planeling glue to glue equally sized bead board to that. The bead board is what you see. I used 1x1 cut 20" long on each side to place each shelf on. I used screws to hold those in place but the shelves are just layed on top of those. There is a bottom shelf that the two side are bolted to and three middle loose shelves and one top (sides are bolted to) which are all made from used wooden tops of old dressers. Getting the pattern for the shelves and top and bottom just right was hard. I ended up using news paper to make a rough pattern then cut out cardboard for each just to make sure each would be a good fit. The cardbord then became the pattern I traced on the wooden dresser tops. Trimed all the way around with a 4" wavey type trim I had collected somewhere. I did not use legs, I just used 4 - 2 1/2" wood screws to attach it to the cornor about 1 1/2' feet off the floor. O yes, I painted it all white.
It hangs on the corner at the foot of my claw foot bath tub.
Now I wished it was about a full 3'on each side for more deepth. I would also added a door and maybe some extra wide crown molding on top. Good luck with yours, Nanny

o

Neither I nor DH is good at woodworking. I stick with the "feminine" crafts of knitting,embroidery,and simple sewing. We were so lucky when his aunt and uncle moved to Florida and had to down-size, they gave us their kitchen corner hutch. I love it!

o
Need an idea for coffee area inside church

I belong to a very small church, which is about 1/2 the size of a standard 20x24 garage. There is one small vestment closet, but no where for coffee hr. They use a small table, and everyone brings a thermos. Please help! Any ideas? I was thinking about a small bathroom cabinet or small hutch to hang in one corner to house supplies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here