Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Krylon Fusion as primer?

Posted by alison (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 18:26

I thought y'all might know the answer to this:

I want to decorate some cheap plastic lawn chairs. I know that Krylon Fusion is recommended for painting plastic, but I'm not wild about the colors available at my hardware store. (I know; I am *so* picky!)

Can use the Krylon Fusion as a base coat, like primer, and then use another color of enamel spray paint on top of that? Possibly even layer colors?

And if I'm using enamel spray paint, do I need to finish it with some sort of top coat, to keep it from rubbing off on people? (Nothing runs a summer party faster than staining everyone's pants!)

Appreciate the advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Krylon Fusion as primer?

Talk to the paint department at your home store. You can buy just primer for plastic - it's white. I got some last year and then the paint to cover it. I used paint for plastic but still needed the primer. There are new products out there. Or you could check your home store online or paint company websites for product information.

o

Unfortunately the folks at my Lowes don't seem to know. A consultation among four employees yielded only the suggestion to buy several cans and try it out!

Which I may end up doing anyway.

o

The Krylon is really glossy. I don't think another paint would stick to it well. It's expensive too. I painted a plastic table with it once and easily could've bought a new table for what I had spent on the paint.

I'd try something different.

o

a good wash with vinegar will help any paint adhere to plastic. I have used regular spray paint and not had much chipping....

o

Look for Rusteoleum primer for plastic. I have not
tried it yet, but it is suppose to allow the use
of any of their other paints to be used as a
top coat.

o

I'm just seeing this thread and perhaps the decission has already been made, but, my experience with Krylon for plastic was not good at all. The stuff started peeling off before one season was over. Of course I didn't use a primer, I don't remember reading anything on the can about using primer. I don't care for the color choices either.

kfainf, thanks for the info on Rusteoleum!

Rach

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here