Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refacing a Built in Buffet - Need Advice!

Posted by brenda5b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 15:13

Hi Everyone! Have been 'lurking' here for months and am so pleased to have the insight that all of you share!
We bought a DW about a year ago and have been remodelling ever since. So far we have removed a wall, enlarged the kitchen by making the laundry room smaller. built in the fridge, installed new ash doors on the cupboards and added an amazing island, replaced the flooring, doors and are presently installing closet organizers and replacing the closet doors.

We recently papered and painted the open concept LR/DR and plan to reface the built in china cabinet to match kitcen cupboards but I am stumped as to what to do with the inside shelves and panelled back, it is painted white at this time.

I am sure there is someone out there that has been there done that and I need some ideas.

Thanks so much for your interest and any advice you could offer!

Brenda

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refacing a Built in Buffet - Need Advice!

what are you going to use it for? If you are showing stuff then what color? dark against white backround or white against dark backround or use the mirror paint on walls and a wood stain on the sheves.....

o

Thanks so much for your reply!

There are glass inserts in the door and I presently have my
good dishes and 'pretty stuff' on display so will probably stay with that. Dishes are white with gold trim and the other stuff is mostly coloured glass.

Sorry to sound stupid but what is 'mirror' paint? I really
like the idea of mirrored background as I do not want it to appear 'dark' inside.

I am going to go to the paint/paper store to see if I can come up with a paper that would suit.

Any other ideas?

Again thanks so much Geeme!

o

You could use fabric. Lots of different ways to hang it inside a cabinet....thumbtacks,starch, wallpaper paste.
Use old wallpaper.
Maybe all you need to d is trim out the shelves so they look lace. You can do that with long strips of paper that have been paper punched or raid grandmas trim box in her sewing room.

o

Lowes or home depot should have mirror paint.. used to be very popular, if you cant find it they should have the mirrors to put on walls,like tile. either the one foot square of one inch or the one square foot.

o

Depends on what shelves are made of what you will be able to do with them. If particle board they will have to be painted. Could use a stain to give them antique look. All wood shelves painted white would be very difficult to clean up with paint stripper & hard telling what is underneath. Could wallpaper shelves & back in either a plain textured paper or "grass or bamboo" or other "natural look" that would work in with your new decor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here