Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone painted a laminated desk?

Posted by maizeylou (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 12, 09 at 13:52

I have an old laminate desk that I want to dress up for a sewing/craft table. Does anyone have any ideas for changing the looks of the table top? I fear a painted service may show marks easily. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone painted a laminated desk?

I would sand it so paint will stick to it, prime it with my favorite primer (Zinsser primer, available at HD and Lowes), then paint with any good brand of semi-gloss paint. Here's a link fot the Paint Forum, where the paint experts are. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint Forum

o

I'm not sure what to tell you, but I'm thinking of reverse stenciling my tv stand using ferns. When you say laminate do you mean melamine? There is paint for that. My tv stand is faux wood, paper like stuff glued over whatever board. I was thinking of spraying it with some acrylic urethane first to waterproof it before painting.

Another idea would be to decoupage a pretty tissue paper on the top and then urethane it with several coats. I've been reading about contact paper they now make a "stainless steel" one, wonder how that would be for a work surface. if you could find some you could check it out.
good luck, let usknow/see what you do.
kathy

o

I painted a laminated kitchen table. The laminate was originally a shiny black surface - the kind that scratches as soon as you look at it. I have redone this same table several times not because of wear- only because I need to redecorate. This last resurfacing was done to match my very real granite counter. I posted the pictures and instructions on creative-stitch.net in the forum category . Just click on the forum category and follow the links to the forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: creative-stitch.net - forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here