Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am new to this and have a ?

Posted by mrs.micki (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 07 at 12:04

I posted a picture of desk I rescued from curb shopping and was wondering do I have to sand it before I paint it? I have never done this before and not sure how to begin-I think I have an idea of what I'm doing after the prep work.Then again not sure.Thank you for your help.I am so excited about this.My mother in law told me she I has a hutch I can have and it needs some work also.So this could be the beginnig of something new for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am new to this and have a ?

I posted a msg to you in your other post Mrs. Micki. I'd be grabbing your MIL's hutch in a jiffy. There are others on here that can be you better advice than I can when it comes to finishing wood/furniture. It is a lot of work but can be so beneficial when you end up with a fantastic piece that you did yourself.

Sal

o

When ever you have a piece of finished wood you should sand to remove the glaze that covers the piece and protects it if you are planning on painting it. Removing the glaze gives the paint something to adhere to. A elecrtic plam sander works great. It's small enough you can manage it but faster than hand sanding.
UNfinished wood should be primed before painting and prepainted wood which you have no idea what kind of paint you are dealing with should be sanded then primed.
Remember after sanding to use a tack cloth to remove all the grit left behind.

o

I believe that if you don't sand it, the new paint won't stick to the wood and it will chip off easily.
that's what happened to my deck, I didn't sand some spots that seemed smooth enough, and the paint started peeling off after a month!!!

o

I agree with everyone else, prime!

Debbie in Florida

o

Thanks folks! I have finished my project of redoing the back of the park bench.Didn't really turn out the way I was hoping,but my hubby said he likes it and it matches the house.So I will leave it just for him.As soon as I can find my cord to download the picturs I will do so.
I am really excited because on my way to work the other morning I found some wood framed windows sitting on the curb calling my name.So of course I had to stop and pick them up,cuz I know you would all have been so disappointed in me if I didn't(that was my excuse for hubby)HA-HA-HA.I am off to look for cord now.Hope everyone is having a GREAT DAY. Micki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here