Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's your thought on wood furniture outside?

Posted by KellyFG (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 05 at 10:47

I'm planning on painting a few folding snack tables for use on our deck, I was also thinking of looking for old dining chairs for extra seating. Our deck doesn't have any protection from the elements, what type of paint should I use? Do you think the Long Island sun & rain is too much for wooden furniture outside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's your thought on wood furniture outside?

I'm tired of buying wood stuff for outside *sigh* - Unless I can seal the whole thing ... it'll warp here . (It's always humid ) I do have a few "little" things outside that were sealed with water based acrylic varnish and they survived the test of time & temps. I guess that's the secret -- take the time to seal ~~~

o

I go for metal. The dogs can't chew it up and there are quite a variety of different styles. Easy to paint too.

o

My thought is to buy chairs/etcs. at a thrift store...put it in the yard or on patio...enjoy for the summer...and forget it. (if they fall apart,you won't have to worry about where to store them for winter)

o

You can paint wooden furniture with oil-based paint for outside. It lasts a couple or more years, depending on where you live and if you store it for the winter or leave it out. I don't use oil-based as a rule, but for outside it lasts longest.

Another option is to use a water seal product on bare wood. This usually needs redoing every year, though.

Finally, if you would like to purchase new furniture, look for cedar or redwood, etc. that naturally withstands the elements. Be warned - they aren't cheap to buy. That's why my DH decided to build some. Just buying the cedar is pricey enough! But they are beautiful!

o

I have an adirondak swing I need to refinish. Am thinking about using it at our summer cabin outside. Anyone had any experience using marine varnish like used on boats? I was hoping I could use this as a protectant.

o

I've used marine varnish on many wooden things outdoors including the boat. LOL
Yes, it works very well, lasts a long time and looks great when done right. I always do two coats with a sanding between them. You get lovely deapth and shine taking time to sand between each coat of varnish. The harsher the climate the more coats I use. I've got 5 coats on the boat and it has been 9 years with out touch ups. Just clean off the salt spray every once in a while.

o

We have a couple old school desks outside on our patio for sitting. We just let what happens happen. When they get unusable we "repair" them--re-glue, screw, add a brace, whatever. It adds to the charm and the conversation piece factor. Friends have even carved their names in the top during parties. Don't fight it, roll with it.

o

house paint from a yare sail is another cheep option.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here