Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the glue to use on glass totem birdbaths

Posted by huggybear_2008 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 10:18

I made a glass totem birdbath and I put it outside and it was there only a couple of days and when I went to pick it up to move so son could cut the grass near it.. it came apart.. I used GEII to glue it.. seemed like it took long time to set.. but it finally seemed like it was set..so I put it outside.. please tell me what kind of glue should I have used..you can see my totem on another post here.
Huggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the glue to use on glass totem birdbaths

Huggy this was the subject of a long thread on the Garden Junk forum just the other day. It sounds like they have changed how the make GEII if people are suddenly having problems with it! (You did use the one for Windows and Doors?)
I've posted the link to the thread below. Glass block caulk which is also clear sounds promising to me...
Good luck
kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Why isn't GEII working? GJunk thread

o

YEPPERS I used the one for windows and glass, I will try what they said on the GJunk thread,The glass block chalking.. and see how it works.. Thanks for the help kathy
Huggy

o

Boy I can't believe the GE didn't work. I used it last year and left my totem out all winter. I was still intack until it was stolen last week!!!GGGGGRRRRR.

o

I have always used GEII and haven't had a problem at all. The tube may have been old is the only thing I can say. I normally let mine sit 24 hours and they are all set and ready to go outside. Haven't had any come apart.

Donna in Florida

o

It probably was a bad tube. I've had some bad stuff myself, it was cloudier and grainier and not as wet/shiny looking. Ruined a lot of cement mushrooms made from bowls and cups, lol :D That crap never did dry and I couldn't get it off to re-glue. I only buy the Wal-Mart brand these days because I'm a cheapskate, but it works perfectly fine. I have a few bird baths that I've had several years and they all are holding up great.. not to mention all the bowling balls turned into gazing balls with flat marbles glued onto them....only problem is condensation/fogging up inside vases which isn't hurting anything so far! lol

o

I have used liquid nail to glue a porcelin dish garden to the top of a concrete bird bath base. It is not coming off
any time soon.

o

I did finally get my totem to stay with the glue.. here is pic of it outside in the yard
my birdbath made from GW and yard sale finds with my gazing bowling balls

o

There are various reasons why the GEII doesn't bond. Surfaces not totally cleaned (I use alcohol), outdated tube.... I had a birdbath bowl fall off when the buyer was carrying it to his car. I couldn't figure out how it happened because I had pulled on all the pieces to make sure the joints were secure. A man who also does this type of craft looked at it and he thought there were 2 problems. First, the bowl was glued to a very small vase top which was very slick. The buyer was carrying it sideways over his arm so the weight of the heavy bowl pulled it loose from the vase. That was his theory, but it sounded reasonable to me. I also had one ceramic vase that just would NOT bond. I replaced it with another one and it was fine. Most of my projects have cured and held very well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here