Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Look what I found-I'm excited

Posted by mrs.micki (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 07 at 9:36

Hi! Good morning! I am new to this forum,but find myself more and more trying to find things to fix and make pretty or at least try to make look pretty.I have a ?-would you leave this like it is or paint it to match decor of room.Found it on the curb and made dear husband go get it.It needed a home.The room is all medium blue and was thinking of painting it white or sunny yellow.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Look what I found-I'm excited

you have wonderful things.hope oneday mine will be as great.just starting out on the redo's.I have to be honest-I am the person who is scared to do alot because I' m afraid of messing it up.So sometimes the item just sits there forever.Not sure of the different techniques of doing things either.So I guess I will give it try ,I will never know until I do.

o

That was on the curb ??????????????? Holy Cow ! I like the wood grain the way it is .....

o

It has some spots and nicks on the top and sides.The spots look like the rings from a glass or cup.I am thinking of using this as my sewing cabinet,it sure is sturdy enough for my sewing machine and I will have a place to keep all my thread and ribbons,bobbins and stuff.
Not to sure what I want to do with it yet-so please all your help and ideas are greatly appreciated.
Micki

o

Welcome to the forum Mrs. Micki, so happy to have you join in on the daily fun of reading msgs and posting your own. The cabinet is wonderful. My first thought was, "where's RoboMarge" - she has done so many wonderful things with her finds, and then I see she was the first to answer here. Definitely check out her site, it's fantastic. Either way, I think that would be a beautiful sewing machine cabinet. Maybe you can try some Mrs. Murphy's Soap Oil for furniture on the glass rings and see if they will come out. If not, it's still a gorgeous piece of furniture, I too can't believe someone threw that out. Good luck finding more valuable trash-yeah right, who calls this trash in our book!!

Sal

o

I haven't posted on this forum before, but I have on other GW and THS forums. I just want to say that those kind of desks make great vanities. I found one for my DD when she was in HS and she's still using it in her home.

Just screw a surge protector multi-outlet strip to the outside of the desk for hair appliances and hang a mirror. Use a lighted make-up mirror and/or a lamp or whatever makes a good light for you. The vanity stools/chairs aren't hard to find at garage sales, thrift stores, etc.

The drawers hold all kinds of stuff for hair, nails and make-up.

o

That's just what I'm looking for! LOL But I want DH to help me re-vamp it for a computer desk. We have limited space so we decided to take the bar between our kitchen and living room a few years ago for the computer. The monitor sits on top of the bar and our "desk" is undeneath. I need something that fits our style better and I thought of a simple desk like the one you have pictured. My Mom also used one for a vanity and it should definitely work to hold your sewing machine :)

If it were mine, I would paint and distress but that's what I tend to do with a lot of stuff! LOL I'm into the primitive country decor and I like rustic stuff :)

o

Sweets, I also love primitive country decor and the rustic look. May I ask, do you have a Photobucket album of your home/yard? I would love to see how you've decorated your home.

Sal

o

Great desk! Yes, I would paint it white or blue or any pastel of your choice then find old fabric or paper in perhaps faded roses and decopage the top. You could put glass over that if you wanted to, but it shouldn't be necessary. Yes, change the handles. Don't worry about doing it wrong. It is only paint and can be painted again and again and again. Storage is alwways needed and you found a great place for it...lucky you!

o

You could cover the top of it with leather (or pleather) and add some upholstery tacks to the edges. In addition to using it for a sewing table, you could use it for a makeup vanity, or you could use it as a computer desk by flipping the top drawer upside down for a keyboard holder

o

What a neat desk. I personally would paint it white and change the handles. I would try to find an old chair, paint it another color such as light blue and make a chair pad in a pretty pattern to match other things in the room. Great find!
Debbie in Florida

o

love the desk! i got one at the thrift store fro my oldest granddaughter and painted it bright yellow and added ceramic drawer pulls with snuggle bugs painted on them, i got the pulls online.really fun project and she loved it! i had an old chair i curb shopped and repainted to match and covered the seat in rainbow fabric..too cute...just go for it and paint it! if you don't like it you can always redo...paint is our friend..lol

o

Thanks Dandyliondeb and clutterbugs those are great ideas.The only part I'm not looking forward to is the sanding.Trying to get my regular weekend chores done today so I can play tomorrow.Figure since it's going to be nice tomorrow I can have the windows open while I do my makeovers on my projects.Also thanks you going out to everyone else who gave me such great ideas.My husband just stands there shaking his head saying the monster has been let loose.LOL!

o

mrs.micki, my hubby says the exact sames words to me! My youngest son recently moved out and I repainted all of his mismatched wood furniture white. I usually wait until my hubby goes out before I start any big projects. But, in the end, he's tells me I always make things look better. He told me I was totally nuts when I dragged him to the thrift store to help me bring home an ugly old buffet but was surprised by the outcome after I painted it white.

By the way, my son moved back home again and now has a white bedroom. Good thing he moved back before I started adding all the pink roses!

Debbie in Florida

o

Debbie-hope you don't mind me calling you Debbie.What is the best grade of sand paper to use and also how much sanding should I do?Also should I use a primer after sanding? Any help is so greatly appreciated.
Thanks , Micki

o

mrs.micki, I personally use a med to fine grade sandpaper. All you really need to do is scuff the surface. I use Kilz primer on almost anything I paint as it helps to hold the paint a lot better and keeps any imperfections from bleeding through, such as the knots on your desk. I also use a roller to paint as I like the texture it leaves. My hubby prefers to use a brush as he likes a more smooth finish. So it depends on what look you're after... and who is painting! Paint is very forgiving. If you don't like it, you can re-paint it. I have an old dresser that has been painted every color of the rainbow. The latest color is white. Good luck, and be sure to take a picture to show everyone.
Debbie in Florida

o

Are you familiar with Polyshades? You can put it over the varnish and everything. see their webpage

Here is a link that might be useful: polyshades

o

Thanks folks.Hubby seen me posting last night and when I woke up this morning there are post it notes on what can be painted and what he prefers not be painted.Hmmm- never have been one to follow directions good.Took all the post its off and stuck them to different parts of the dog and sent him in to wake daddy up.Waiting on my reply-LOL hahaha.

o

My Mother had one exactly like that and she used it for a sewing table!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here