Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question regarding outdoor bird feeders

Posted by Toomuchglass (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 05 at 4:35

I've been meaning to ask this for so long and kept forgetting - now that spring has sprung ( well - sorta )
I want to make some birdfeeders. All mine will be out in the open --- so how do you make drain holes in the bottom so the seed won't float away from the rain ? Just drill small holes? -- Won't the seed clog the holes up ? -- Or fall out the holes ? I'm good at the designing part - it's those 'technical details' that boggle my mind ! LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question regarding outdoor bird feeders

Toomuchglass, you could use screen or hardware cloth (or a coombination of both) as the bottom of the birdfeeders. Or you could cover them with thin planking or tin. We have ours in the open, but we use planking over the top which also helps protect the birds as they are eating from the predatory birds. Hope this helps. Alice

o

Is that what people do ? I never seem to see it in the pictures. It's a great idea though !!!!!

o

I use any thing with holes - baskets , screen , a Frisbie with holes drilled into it , even a sieve from the kitchen . I have one feeder hanging under an awning on fishing line and it's the first time I have seen the squirrels puzzled . They still haven't figured out how to get to the floating sunflower seeds !

o

It is imperative that bird seed does not get wet...it can spoil and grow mold, which can make a bird sick..or even kill it.

All my feeders have roofs and plexiglass sides. I'm sure that you could still keep your feeders "creative" and add a roof of some sort.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here