Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vintage glider

Posted by heartzlink (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 1:20

I have FINALLY come in possession of a vintage glider. I have wanted one for years but had only been able to find them in poor shape with high price tags.....My DH found this one on CL and got it for $20 .... it is in excellent structural shape , it glides smoothly and still feels really sturdy........BUT there are a few places where lack of care has led to the metal being rusted through....none are any larger than the palm of my hand..... I know I want to strip it all down and stabilize the rust then prime well and paint it up ...but before I do any of that, I would love for someone to share their experience with repairing the areas rusted through......I do not weld or have access to a welder so that is not in the running for solutions...... anyone have any ideas.......proven methods would be best... thanks for reading and sharing....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vintage glider

As wide as your palm is 5-6 in. so it needs to be reinforced. I think a metal or wrought iron piece with holes in it & drill through existing frame & secure it with small bolts with nuts would be my solution. Home Depot has some stuff like that it would need to be wide as frame & 10-12 in long, pre-drilled would be easier if you could get it. Don't want anyone enjoying the glider & it breaking. Once painted the strips would hardly be noticeable. Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here