Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing rust

Posted by gabriell (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 19:50

I hope someone might be able to tell me how to remove rust. I have just found a small hand saw I must have left outside last fall. I found it when I took bird seed for my feeder. I
love this little saw and use it often. Can anybody tell me what I might soak it in? Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing rust

try using double zero or triple zero steel wool. Maybe dip it in machine oil while taking off the rust. Lightly oil after rust is gone. Let us know how it works.
Not recommended to use a brillo pad.

o

Thank you, I thought someone here might have good idea.

o

If your tool is too far gone for steel wool you could also try rust converter. Duluth Trading Post used to sell it but no longer. It is probably available other places.
Kathy

o

Apple cider vinegar also removes rust.

Rusty

o

Coca-cola is also a good method for removing rust. Soak it and use a steel brush to rub off any tough spots. I am working on re-doing some metal patio furniture and have found in places where the steel brush won't do, I can soak a rag in Coke and place it on the stop to loosen the rust. Hope that helps!

o

I've used WD-40 to remove rust from a set of pruners.
Like you, I left them out, found them much later.
They wouldn't 'scissor' because of the rust so I sprayed the WD-40 just to get them working again.
To my surprise, when I wiped the blades with a soft cloth, rust came off on the cloth.
I kept rubbing with a soft cloth, adding a little more WD-40 and today the pruners are almost as good as new.

o

Naval Jelly - it's concentrated phosphoric acid, same stuff that's in Coke (obviously more diluted!). I let it soak a bit and then rub with fine steel wool or a toothbrush. Rinse, dry well, spray with WD-40 to chase remaining moisture, and go over with an oily rag to leave a very thin film to protect from future rust.

o

I bought some spray rust "converter" some time ago, not sure what brand it was but I believe it was with the spray paint. If it's something you are going to paint over and can't/don't want to spend hours sanding the rust off, it might be worth checking in to. It somehow stabilizes the rust, stops the chemical reaction that causes it, and creates a stable base to paint over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here