Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old crackled pediment into doorknob coat/hat rack

Posted by sherree (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 05 at 19:46

i am currently working on a list of about 7 things that people have called me up and requested that i do for them. this is one of them. i got this old pediment at an estate sale. drilled holes for screws. then glued and set the doorknobs on top of the screws. added hangers on the back and she's ready to go. i didn't do anything to actual pediment, just cleaned it up and left it as is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old crackled pediment into doorknob coat/hat rack

Cool!

I am currently working on a 7 foot long coat rack made with a piece of moulding and old doorknobs. Will post a photo when it gets done.

o

How exactly did you attach the knobs. Dh did one for me a couple of years ago and the knobs have loosened.

Thanks

Robin

o

ok, i first took my doorknobs with me to the hardware store and found screws that the screw head would actually fit into the doorknob hole and be long enough to screw into the pediment. then predrilled my holes in the pediment. then screwed the screws in. made sure the knobs fit onto the screws and that the screws were not too long. once everything looked ok then added my glue. i use the green "goop". i applied that to the screw. then added my knobs. wiped up the excess and it was done.
hope this helps.
sherree!

o

sherree...I've got to ask...what is a pediment. It looks like a piece off the back of an old chest of drawers. Am I close??

I have a basket full of doorknobs...that I had planned to do something like this...but our home is an open floor plan...no entry way and not many walls...so I can't find a place to put it. I suppose the hall way by the stairs to the loft might work...But I wanted it out where I'd see it all the time.

patti

o

Patti,
yes, a pediment is an architectural piece or a decorative piece to a dresser, wardrobe, even a door could have a pediment.
For some ideas on where you can place your pediment: you can always hang it in a bathroom with guest towels hung on it or do you have a utility room or back door where someone could hang hats or coats.
hope this helps, sherree!

o

That is REALLY cool!!!! I love it!

o

The bathroom would work for me...Now to find a "pediment" somewhere.

Thanks for that idea...Actually I need a towel holder in that bathroom

patti

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here