Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roll-up shades

Posted by cindylue (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 05 at 12:26

I posted this on home decorating but you guys might have some answers for me too. I just put up inexpensive(cheap) roll-up blinds on the windows in my living room per DH request. They are so ugly! i thought maybe about wallpapering them, but will they still roll up if I do this. I think fabric might be more bulky. Anyone have any ingenious ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roll-up shades

I have seen where they stencil a design on them and also use trim like beading on the bottom. You could also use ribbon to decorate the bottom. good luck!

o

Had been thinking about doing the same to those in my daughter's room, but they suddenly lost their recoil! :( Anyone have suggestions for this problem? Otherwise I guess I'll bite the bullet and make some simple fabric shades myself...

o

They will still roll with fabric on them. The problem usually comes when they are verrry long and are intalled too close to the window for the thickness of the shade with the fabric.

Unless the spring is broken you can tighten it back up by unhooking the sloted side of the roller. The other side is usually a peg that goes straight into a hole. Leave that side in and unhook the slotted side and roll it up by hand. Do a little at a time and check it or you will get it too tight and it will go around and around a few times at the top instead of just stopping. Hope this makes sense. If you get it too tight you can adjust it back.

o

If you're going to cover them, just make sure to do so in something thin. A thin wallpaper, thin fabric, latex paint, or whatever should be fine. And whatever you do don't roll them up for several days in case there's some moisture left in them or you might never get them to pull down again without ruining your new finish.

Have fun!

o

Are they the bamboo looking or the white ones? You can usually find some pretty fabric marked down at walmart for about $1 or $2.
Have thought about doing it for our sliding door in our kitchen.

o

They are the white ones. I had to give up the idea, I had an 87" window for one of them. I tried to put 2 together to make a long one, but it was too heavy for the clutch. so, after (D)H critisized me for trying to make something out of nothing like I always do, I ordered brand new ones to fit. That will teach him!

o

Cindylue... I am sorry your husband did that to you.. that makes me sad. I feel very blessed that my husband really cheers on my ideas and gives me lots of support. For my older roller blinds.. I took off the vinyl fabric and just attached the fashion fabric.. they worked like a dream.

maddiemom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here