Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dying material

Posted by deb_pa (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 11:37

I found enough material to make valances for my 4 livingroom windows. Material is the same material as curtains except for the color. My curtains are a cream color the new material is white. I tried washing the curtains and added bleach but they are still cream colored which I do like. So how do I get the new material for the valances to a cream color? Daughter says use tea bag dye, but won't that make it brownish color not cream? Please help. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dying material

Tea bags....your daughter is right....but use a very weak tea to start....you can always darken it but it's hard to lighten.
Linda C

o
RE: dying material

It will depend upon what the material content is. If it doesn't bleach, it may not work with tea dye. How much bleach did you use? It may have to be soaked for a while in a tub. I'd try just a small area though, in case the bleach does harm. A small clip from the back of hemmed area? You might try Ritz color remover. I'm not sure of the use with this, think it is for getting rid of color which was dyed originally with a Ritz color.

There are spray fabric dyes at hobby stores too. Expensive though and changing the color of your valance to cream would be the easiest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here