Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any ideas?

Posted by doone (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 24, 06 at 10:31

This is my rainchain. Made from glass globs of fish and shells I found at the dollar store. I'm now trying to figure out what to put at the bottom of the chain. I'm trying to find some good, quality silver bells. Can't seem to find any but cheap ones at the craft stores. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any ideas?

hi
very nice I recognize the "globs" scrounge the thrift stores etc. for a brass bell .
anything small enough turned upside down.
like heavy glass or a brass cup or bowl.
a heavy glass votive candle I even have a few with stems
to make attaching easy.
a nice glass bowl,cup, or candle holder with a hook attached to the bottom.
hey !! a small stainless steel bowl they sell in the pet section of d.s.
I,ve thought for yrs to use a stack of these for a rain chain hmmmmmmm.
some pcs of costume jewerly bundled together in a drop or ball ??? still thinking Rick

o

Aha! Great ideas! I knew someone would be able to help me!!! Thanks! Let me know if you come up with others...:0)

o

Sometimes in junque shops you can find the bells(brass, cupshaped and have a hole in the middle) out of old telephones. They are weather resistant, and should work pretty well!

o

Sounds dumb, but what is a rain chain? It looks really neat!!!

o

I'm curious too...I don't know what a rain chain is either! Looks kind of neat. And also, how is it put together? I think I'm about to kick myself for throwing out some small chains that broke off of a suncatcher, and for tossing out a rain chime thingy that I always saw as ugly (it had small metal cups on long stems in a heavy base)and only used as a card holder indoors. I could have made some nice chimes or something out of it! Darn it, when will I learn?! Lol!
Emma in PA

o

hi
at one time there were a whole stack of links on here for rain chains they were in my old fav,s some real fancy oriental ones and some rather expensive stuff. try googling for links there is some pretty artistic stuff .
there is an oriental garden here with all the buildings that use these. most resemble stacks of brass bells strung on line/chain and those original pics is what gave me the idea to use the very small stainless bowls or cups strung on stainless cable for one ,even at a dollar a pc. it would not add up to a great deal for a such a permanent household item . if a splash gaurd is used below it , it is actually a very effective rain gaurd/disperser. Rick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here