Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
glass coffee carafes

Posted by jamies (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 9, 06 at 8:38

My coffeemaker broke, and I have 2 carafes for it. The plastic tops of the carafes are stained, and one top is broken. Something is making me hesitate to put carafes in the recycling bin this morning. (Nobody claimed them on freecycle) Is there a use for these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: glass coffee carafes

They're marked off in cup increments. Before you use them for measuring in the house or in the garden, use a standard measuring cup to see if they're marked in 8 oz. cups or 6 oz. (coffee) cups.

Nell

o

hi ,
I have a bunch of them also duh never thought of using them for measuring I am going to plant hen and chicks in one for inside the house also have used them for potting soil scoops
on the potting bench. Rick

o

I don't think you can recycle that type of glass...at least we can't do that here in Oregon. Something about it being tempered.

Haha...you could use them as gold fish bowls!

o

Most carafes are made of borosylicate glass, which is a very different composition from other glass, so can't be mixed with it. And not enough of borosylicate gets tossed to make it worthwhile to collect for recycling. Some torchworkers (people who use high-temp torches to create decorative glasswork) might be able to use it, though, if they are into using recycled glass.

Hmmm, gold fish bowls. I use one I picked up to water my large plants. I like the idea of using one as a planting soil scoop too. Going to have to scavenge another!

Dayle Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here