Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning linen material on old pic frame

Posted by wobur (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 07 at 6:08

I bought an old wooden picture frame at a garage sale. The wood cleaned up easily and the dings I can fix, but I am stumped on how to clean a 1 1/2", off white, linen or canvas border around the inside of the frame. It is fairly dirty. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning linen material on old pic frame

Hi Wobur, you might go to the Christmas and Holiday forum as the gals over there are now talking about home decorating. I just asked a question the other day about how do I know if my fabric napkins are real linen and got good response, so they might know the answer to your question. As for me giving you an answer, please know I am no expert on this stuff whatsoever, but would "steam" work at cleaning the part that's dirty? Just a thought.

Sal

o

Try a knead eraser. You can find them in the art department of most craft stores.

My other suggestion would be one of those new Mr. Clean erasers.

o

And if the earlier ideas the others have given you don't work, you could maybe paint it with a thin coat of off white paint.. just be careful and don't get it on the frame.
Marisha

o

Hi,

I had the same problem with an old frame I found. Sorry to report, I had no luck. Nothing I did could clean it. In fact, I think it just ground the dirt into the fibers.

I am going to go to my local craft/fabric store to get some of their by-the-yard ribbon. I know they have one their that is natural with a faint linen-like weave to it. I am going to glue mine right over the top of the old stuff.

I know my mom has used deep blue velvet ribbon on frames too.

o

What great ideas! I can try to clean it and if it doesn't work I will look for some ribbon I'll let everyone know if anything works. Thanks for the help everybody!

Wobur

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here