Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old shelf liner....how to remove?

Posted by wingo_43 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 08 at 1:34

Hi........I'm usually over in the Palms forum, but have a restoration question. I posted this over in Woodworking, but didn't get any responses.

See the attached photos. I recently acquired this lovely old hutch from my late grandmother's house. I can't find any marks to indentify the company or date of manufacture, but my grandparents had this since I was a kid, and I'm 45 now. At some point in the past, one of my grandparents applied self-adhesive shelf liner to the top surfaces, probably to cover scratches. I'm assuming this stuff is made of vinyl, but it's quite old and brittle now. I've had a heck of a time getting this stuff off. You can see in the first photo where I started peeling back one corner. The areas where I've managed to peel some away, there's a very sticky residue left on the wood.

My question is: How do I get rid of this sticky surface? I want to refinish the piece, so I don't want to use anything that will cause problems later. I had thought of WD-40, since its so great at removing glue and other adhesives, but WD-40 has an oily feel to it. Afraid it would soak into the wood then cause trouble later when I go to apply the stain or varnish. I figured with so many of you here having experience in restoring and being do-it-yourselfers, you might have some ideas.

Thanks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old shelf liner....how to remove?

A blow dryer on high heat and a plastic bread tie will help you remove it without chemicals.
I'd think before you refinish it you will have to sand the piece down some, which will remove any left over glue.

o

Goo Gone works good on sticky stuff like that.

o

I was thinking that an iron on a very warm setting might do the trick,

o

Thanks carol.....the blowdryer worked like a charm. Softened the liner paper enough so I could peel it off in long strips.

As for the Goo Gone, I wasn't impressed. Basically overpriced orange oil. I slathered it on with a brush and left it for several minutes. It barely made a dent. Had to scrub with a Scotchbrite pad to make any real progress. This stuff may work for other things, but for the adhesive left by the contact paper, nada. I won't waste my money on it again.

o

Anything with an adhesive backing usually will come up with heat applied to it in some form. The blowdryer is the least dangerous of the options and the one I always start with.
I'm glad it worked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here