Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me give dresser new life!

Posted by erykah0708 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 9, 06 at 0:18

I purchased this dresser at a garage sale for $15. Its solid wood but the color is horrid!

any ideas on a good color for it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me give dresser new life!

What colors do you have in the room? Is this the room you intend to keep it in and is the room decorated the way you want it? Is there a color you like more than others?

Really you could go with any color of the rainbow. Often people choose white though and another good color for wood furniture is black!

o

I'd go with black and sand down the edges, but I decorate in country prim. What is your decorating style? ~Anj

o

I like the idea of black also. Where will you be using it?

o

I think it depends on the other colors in the room also. I'm partial to a soft white myself. I'd definatly find some new knobs. Depending again on what look you're trying to achieve - there are some wonderful figural ones, ones that looks like sticks or leaves or my favorite - the clear crystal vintage reproductions - perfect with white!

Nice find BTW!!

o

I'm also seeing black, maybe with the edges sanded down in a soft distressed look. Its got great lines, very classis. You could go with a brushed nickel knob or some mis matched old white porcelian door knobs as oversized drawer pulls. I saw this look on a recyled desk and it was cool, kinda funky and contemporary.

o

If you're going to use it in that room, why not pick up the blue in the quilt and some shabby chic white knobs. I got a bunch at a GS once, they were white ceramic with pink roses...I think they sell them at Home Depot or Lowes.

o

With all the flat surfaces, this bureau would be a really good candidate to do some decoupage on. Here area couple ideas.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4
Example 5

I did something similar on my son's dresser. I painted the bureau silver and then did a black crackle over the top. The drawers I decoupaged with a black and silver wrapping paper. It came out awesome!

Joyce

o

Ivory, tan, or gold with a raw umber glaze. Wood appliques stencils, or Tatouage(transfers/hsn.com) to give it a more unique look. Change out the hardware, maybe handles instead of knobs to take up more of the empty space. ;o)

patty_cakes

o

From looking at the arrangement on top...I'd say..tune in to your inner feelings .. Might I suggest behr's interior semi gloss enamel "Scotland Ise". Lightly sand..then prime in a light coloured latex..then 2 coats of the above..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here