Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting brass light fixtures

Posted by SandiD (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 05 at 20:50

I just picked up 3 light fixtures from a freecycler this evening & would like to know if there's any special techniques for painting on brass. The 3 fixtures are fine, but shiny brass isn't really my thing.

There's one chandelier, one ceiling fan & one pendant. The pendant is like a big bowl & I was thinking about using glass paint on the glass bowl part. The ceiling fan will definately be painted. It's going in my 11 yo DD's room & her theme is Out of Africa.

Please give me input before I go buying paint to give these my touch. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting brass light fixtures

spray paint is the best thing for painting the fixtures that I've ever found, honestly. for most cases, Rustoleum is perfect for the job, and comes in a pretty good selection of colors.

another option is to prime and paint with automotive spray paints (from the autoparts store) which sometimes come in different colors.

a third option is to patina them either green or rust, since they're metal to begin with (there are a ton of kits for this out there)

o

Thanks! I bought some Rustoleum Hammered Dark Bronze & some Brown Hammered today. I'll let my DD choose which one she wants & I'll decide what color I want for the other two later.

o

I spraypainted 2 hanging lights with spray paint, one silver and one pink. They turned out so cute. It gives a lamp a whole new look!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here