Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old valentine card ideas

Posted by fixintojunk (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 3, 07 at 17:49

I'm usually a lurker here, but I need some ideas. I have quite a few old vintage Valentine Greeting Cards and need some ideas for ways to use them. I bought a whole suitcase full of old greeting cards at an estate sale for about $2.00 !!! (There are all kinds of them.) I NEED YOUR IDEAS !!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old valentine card ideas

So glad you came out of lurkdom Fixintojunk. It's such a nice forum, I hope you'll join us regularly now with posts and pics. An idea for your Valentine's Day cards, send them to me!!! I am so jealous. $2.00 for a whole suitcase, what a fantastic buy. At a local antique store here, she is selling five vintage Valentine's Day cards postmarked 1917. They were made in France and are signed Charlie, to Olive. He must have been stationed in France during WWI. Besides being cardstock, they have been machine embroidered and have lace on them. They are so pretty. She wants $20 a piece for them and although I'd like all five of them, I set one aside and told her maybe I'd come in and get the rest over time if no one else got them. I was going to place them in a long skinny frame using a black matte around each of them, five in a row.

Another idea you can do is to hang them from a Valentine's Day feather tree. You can see what the feather tree looks line at "primitivesbykathy.com" online. She's pricey, so you can just type "Valentine's Day feather trees" in your web browser line and see what web sites you can look at for price comparison. They are really cute, coming in pink or red. Off topic, they are coming out with feather trees for Easter in chick yellow, pink and light green. I think they are so pretty. You can punch a small hole in the corner of your postcards and string them with skinny red/white/pink ribbon and hang them on the feather tree, along with some red hearts you can find at Michael's on sale right now. They are glittered or make your own using cardstock. Cut your a heart shape, paint it red/pink/white and sprinkle them with "Diamond Dust" or just clear glitter or red glitter using spray adhesive first. Punch a little hole in them and again, hang with ribbon as the postcards. You could also just display them around your room using a long piece of wire which at one end is curled around and slip the card into the curled end to hold it. Check out "junkmarketstyle.com" for this idea.

Whatever you do, please post pics of the cards. I'd love to see them.

Sal

o

I love old valentines! I have a couple old ones displayed among old photos in a french memo board. If I had a lot I think I might want to do a border around the top of a room, maybe paint a wide pink or red stripe along the top of the wall first and then attach them with poster putty so that they could be removed later if you wanted to. You could always use them for a decoupodge project too - a cabinet, old chair or even the suitcase they came in!

o

What a great find. If they are really old, you might not want to put holes or anything in them--just put in a frame, tuck in the edge of a mirror, or buy one of those wire picture holders to tuck some in. If you want to use the designs for decopodge--you could have color photocopies made of them. Know you will have lots of fun making projects with them. Luvs

o

You could also use them under any glass that might cover a table.....like an end table or coffee table. Maybe a card holder, like those they use at Christmas? Or make a wreath and tuck some in.

I collect them and use them in frames(already mentioned) in a wire stand that holds alot(already mentioned) and I have a few tucked through a garland on my mantel with candles.
Just like the mood they set!
Julie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here