Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mice Chew Up Your Crocheted Doilies? Make This!

Posted by kudzukween (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 15:27

save those doilies and make them into an art bowl! i used liquid starch, then sprayed with clear sealer when it dried. but i'll look into this paverpol it says to use....it's what they use to make fabric sculptures for outdoor uses...like the blue jean planters. looks like fun to use stuff! use some old chewed up and torn embroidered doilies and dresser scarves to patch the crocheted doily with, even paper clippings and labels :D
here is my first one...used to hold soaps in the bath, along with bath salts i made, and an old jar, sprayed the lid red primer color, and glued on an image of vintage label i printed out. a nice gift!

kudzu
recycle torn crocheted doilies into a bowl

Here is a link that might be useful: kudzu's blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mice Chew Up Your Crocheted Doilies? Make This!

fini

o

What a neat idea!
I'll be watching to see what other treasures you come up with for old doilies.
Also, what is the 'paverpol' you mentioned?
Could one use it to make outdoor planters, etc, from old blue jeans?

Thanks
Rusty

o

hi Rusty :D
I looked up the paverpol, and it is perfect for outdoor sculptures. But it seems a tiny bit pricey. I'll have to look up more info about it.
But I did go buy some Stiffy brand fabric stiffener, and I'm going to make a new doily bowl very soon, and maybe some Easter decor.

Here is a link that might be useful: where to buy paverpol..prices

o

I recently saw a cowboy hat made out of a very starched doily. Oh the things you can make! ;o)

o

I used stiffy on some small doilies before but my opinion is that it did not get "hard" enough that it would keep a bowl shape. My stiffy pieces always would bend. I'd check into using the liquid starch mentioned by kudzukween as her bowl looks like it is holding up really well.

o

marine epoxy or fiberglass resin to put outside?

o

This is the thread I was looking for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here