Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Make Your Own Seed Tape-Recycle Newspaper

Posted by kudzukween (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 13, 10 at 15:00

Get ready for spring planting and gift giving. Use all those seeds you collect and save, or buy, and recycle newspaper in a great way. Makes a very good gift for many different occasions, I think, and kids can certainly make it,too. Just cut out strips of newspaper...I used the classified section and cut along the lines of the columns; it was about an inch wide. Keep gluing the strips of newspaper end to end til it's as long as you wish it to be or the package of seeds is gone. Lay more strips on top of the glue/seed strips. Roll it up for storing, and glue the end down. On the one I made, I cut out a circle from the seed envelope and taped it to the back of my rolled up seeds, and tied it all with vintage seam tape. If I'd had ink in my printer, I believe I'd have done it differently :D
This idea was found at a really great site called Givers Log.com. More pictures and how-to's on my blog, and the link.
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Make Your Own Seed Tape-Recycle Newspaper

Are the seeds glued onto the newspaper?
Kathy

o
RE: Make Your Own Seed Tape-Recycle Newspaper

yes, i used a tiny drop of glue for each seed :D and i didn't add any more glue to stick the 2 strips together, it's held using the glue holding the seeds to the newspaper.

i figured it's water soluable, right? lol i didn't want to mix up a flour/water paste, or cook up a cornstarch "glue"....and i don't know if that would be better for growing, but the mice and bugs would sure run to those before they would school glue :D and it would get moldy,too......that's down here in the warm humid south.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here