Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4 poster bed?

Posted by mini_me (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 8, 07 at 13:43

Haven't been here in so long and I sure have missed it :)

I have a 4 poster bed- it is done in cherry (also have a night stool, 2 dressers & step to match) but we bought this for a different house- about 20 years ago. It is a HIGH bed & looked great in the other house. This bedroom is much different & it looks HUGE in it. AND, the metal rails (holding the mattress/box spring) don't seem to fit into the slats all the way now? Not sure what happened but they seem to not "clunk" down into place firmly- thus making the bed wobbly.

I would like to NOT have the posts so high- at least on the end of the bed. The only place to put our TV in there is right there where I have to look through the POST :) Also- the high end is what makes the bed look so big in there. I would also like to have the wood LIGHTER if at all possible. The cherry fit the other home but everything is the oak trim here.

Any thoughts on what I could do to change the look of this thing? I can't really afford a brand new bedroom set right now (& live in an area I won't find good used beds)

I am really stumped! Not sure if I should just look for a new set or id there IS something I can do with this old thing.

Thank you so much for any thoughts you may have!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4 poster bed?

Can you cut off the posts on the one end that is obstructing the view? Is the frame actually "cherry wood" or stained to look cherry? I have an "all wood" dark bedroom set which I've had for a long time now and although I'm tempted to paint it and then distress it, I'm afraid I'll ruin it.

Sal

o

On my old 4 poster I took off the long spindles and the finials and then just put the finials back on the headboard and footboard.

o

Take the footboard off and hide it in the attic. Then get a "Hollywood frame" and fasten the head board to that....and hide the side rails with the footboard.
It will solve the wiggeling problems, the problem with seeing the TV and not ruin the bed in case you would move to another house where it would look great.
Cherry and Oak are great together....and with less of the bed it may not look so dark to you.
Linda C

o

Thank you so much! I was wondering about the "Hollywood" style bed frame.... I may just try that!

The bed is the "rice carved" style where the finials cannot be put onto the shorter post after the longer one is removed... the bed itself has a large metal bold that comes UP out of the head/foot boards and the long post screws onto that... then the finial.

I think my best solution at this point is the Hollywood frame. I would LOVE a lighter colored sleigh bed but- it just isn't going to happen anytime soon I'm afraid. We just sprung for new flooring so the bedroom set will have to wait :)

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

o

Hi Trying trading with someone for one that is not tall.
Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here