Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
discussion on rag rugs back in Dec

Posted by steww (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 12, 09 at 13:14

Hi, I came across a posting form back in Dec on someone wanting info on rag rug making....anyways, there was some pics from a member and lots of oohs and aahhs. Now I wasn't registered at the time and couldn't get the pics...I am now a member and am in the process of making a rag rug and can't for the life of me find the posting. I don't even know if it was on this forum, but I have looked and looked in the crafts, also the decorating and NADA! can't find it. If you think you remember this posting and the pics that a member downloaded then could you please let me know where to go.....I am desperately curious......I am really enjoying my rag rug making and want to see more. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: discussion on rag rugs back in Dec

I do not remember the rag rugs.. were they crocheted or braided? or done like a hook rug.. I would be interested also in seeing them too. I crochet rag rugs and use a large Q hook to do mine.. but I am not sure if that is what you are talking about.. some folks use a toothbrush to make rugs too, but I have never done that.. you might even check on the knit and crochet forum..
If you want I will try to take a pic of some of my crochet rugs..
Huggy

o

You should check all the forums instead of just this one. It might be under crafts or under one of the sewing ones.

o

this is one of the rag rugs I made with scrap fabric.. I used a Q crochet hook.. it is a little hard on your hands at first , but then you get use to it..crocheted rag rug

o

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/treasure/msg0217034128235.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/treasure/msg112240477894.html

Here are two of the discussions I found. One is so old that the pics are gone but some good info. Good luck

o

Stew, also I have found that look at the color you are wanting not the design of the fabric.. I have used some flowery fabric and some plain and mixed them.. you will be so suprised when you use certain fabrics what you will get.. I once used blue flower drapery fabric and it turned out to look like demin.. I gave the rug to my DBI and he used it in front of his recliner for years.. I just would start out making an oval and added stiches as I went on each row.. check your work to make sure it does not roll on your or get wavey..
Huggy

o

Rag rugs are such fun to make and there are so many ways you can make them. Somewhere I came across a method where you use cotton clothesline and wrap it with strips of cotton, then start forming it into a circle or oval using your widest zig zag to stitch it together. I tried a little of it and it does seem to work.Like Huggybear, most of the rugs I've made have been crocheted. I have used old sheets in reasonably good condition and dyed them to colours I want even if they have a pattern. Once they're cut into strips and crocheted they can be quite attractive. Have you tried "Googling" making rag rugs? I know you'll come up with something. Also try "Googling" Rugmaker's Homestead. They have a great site on rug making and I have ordered little booklets from them on various methods of making rag rugs. The booklets are only $3 or $4 each. Good luck in your search.

o

steww check out the web site below and see how they made a rag rug with braided fleece strips
http://www.fabriclandwest.com/Fleece_Country/Fleece/fleece_braid_rug/fleece_braided_rug.htm

o

I have made a few with the toothbrush technique however I did run into some problems with it laying flat. I hate to throw it away but I'm always tripping on it. You need to make sure you increase carefully as you go along to avoid bunching. It is hard on your hands and take lots of fabric. I also used old sheets for one that I made. You can find the instructions on line (google as suggested - toothbrush rugs)

o

Hello, I have a link to the shaggy rag rug pic and directions on how to. If you have any questions, I welcome them.

Radd

Here is a link that might be useful: ShaggyRagRug

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here