Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've got the chess pieces, now what do I do about a table?

Posted by cateyanne (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 12:31

I was recently gifted with a lovely chess set. The pieces are larger than normal. Because of this, I imagined an outdoor table and chairs sitting under the shade of a tree in my back yard. But what to construct it out of? Originally, I thought of using the base of an old table that I would then tile with the appropriate size tiles. But these chess pieces are ceramic filled with plaster, so I'm concerned that a tile table would cause them to break when they get knocked over. The table base could be made of cement too, or metal. Perhaps there is a material that would be a bit gentler to the chess pieces? And of course it would need to be a weather proof material or made weather proof. Anybody make chess tables in their backyards or gardens? Just looking for a little inspiration and maybe some clever ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've got the chess pieces, now what do I do about a table?

Sounds neat. It seems to me that the easiest solution would be find an old wooden table and either paint a 'chessboard' onto the top -- or mod podge the 'chessboard' from colored paper -- and then overcoat the tabletop with a clear finish that would be suitable for outdoor use.

o

What about an iron table make a wooden top and mosaic it with black and white tile for the game board. Durable and pretty. you can use other colrs too for a more colorful look in your garden

o

Gaffanon, that's so simple and clever. I really never thought of a wooden table, and the paper or painted squares would definitely solved the breakage issue. I wonder what sort of protective finish would really make this outdoor table truly weatherproof?

o

Hi
How large are the pieces?? I've seen this done with pieces so large you walk onto the board and move them!!. Board is made of cement pavers two feet square lol gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here