SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsjunque

Rehabbing vintage patio set

mrsjunque
17 years ago

If there's anyone out there that can help me with some resources and/or advice, I'd be eternally grateful!

I rescued a vintage metal patio set this past weekend-a 5' X 3' rectangular table and 4 chairs. The original top to the table is missing, so the former owner had a piece of plywood cut to fit the space. The 4 chairs are in good shape, but the seats need attention as they still have the original tacky yellow vinyl daisy-imprint covering. The chairs have a vine detail with a single leaf attached to the ends of the metal viney-things. That motif is carried on the sides of the table under where the plywood (or top) is attached.

I did some light sanding with 60 grit sandpaper on one of the chairs yesterday, and the superficial rust came off with no problem, and I found that the set is made of steel. When I paint this, do I need to do anything special other than priming with rust control and using a Rust Oleum (or similar)product? Also, are the steel legs of the table strong enough to support a mosaic top??

Further, are there any sites out there with just information on this type of patio furniture? All I could find were sites to purchase furniture, not neccessarily good informational sites.

Thank you all fellow junkers!

Comments (7)

Sponsored