Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white plastic barrels

Posted by danaoh (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 08 at 11:25

I have two of them from a carwash. They do not have removable tops, just a small hole. I was going to make water barrels, haven't gotten around to that. Also, I hate to cut my downspout. They are the original that came with the house (very old). What can I use them for? My husband probably wants them tossed come spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white plastic barrels

another question - if I were to use one of them as a rain barrel - what do I do with them in the winter? For all I know, they may have cracked already in the back yard. Maybe I should just cut them up for planters?

o

My next door neighbor has them lining the block wall that separates our houses with them,and has planted palm trees in them.
Kathi

o

You may not have to cut the downspout depending on how it's constructed. Mine came off the gutter with an elbow and then a straight section to the ground and another elbow to divert away from the house. In spring I remove the straight section and bottom elbow and run a flexible downspout to my rain barrell. Before freezing weather empty the rain barrell and store, I keep mine under the porch - as long as it's empty it will be fine.
white plastic barrels make good planters for peas - the soil stays cool - I cut a couple of them up into 8" slices, filled them up with planting medium and planted peas.

o

You can cut the tops off with a jigsaw, they make great recycling containers for deposit cans and bottles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here